WHAT IS UP WITH MY DUCKS????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xfilesnumber1fan, Jan 21, 2009.

1. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 6 ducks, 4 mallards 1 white crested and 1 white layer..Everyone kept telling me I need to feed them cracked corn with their pellets..So I bought a 50lb bag because that is the only size they sell and they spit it out in a nice little pile,or eat all the multi-flock pellets and leave the corn in the feeder..Does anyone know why they wont eat it? I tryed whole corn too and stratch..Wont touch it..Now I am stuck with 50lbs of corn!![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    I think our ducks are related, mine won't eat corn either. [​IMG]
    On another note, my ducks won't eat their pellets if given a choice between that and dry cat food.

3. xfilesnumber1fan

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Never gave my ducks dry cat food..I have 2 Persians and their Blue Spa is $20 for a 7lb bag..And they can eat that in a week..[​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    They are not used to it.

Ducks are suspicious critters. Just put a bit in with their feed if that is what you are going to feed htem. If you have females, you are better off feeding them layer pellets and giving them scratch as a treat once they get used to it. You can use it to get them to be more friendly to you.

5. xfilesnumber1fan

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have been mixing the cracked corn with the multi-flock..Dont give them stratch just tryed it,And if they were any more freindly they would want to sleep in bed with me!!They follow me around the yard like a puppy! Try to come in the house everytime I open the door..Dont need them any more freindly...Was told layer pellets can be bad if feed every day because I have boys too?I dont eat the eggs and they have never waited to sit on them.Why would layer pellets be better than the multi-flock?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  6. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    I found out they loved cat food by total accident. After a trip to the feed store, my kids unloaded the car and inadvertantly took an 18lb. bag of cat food down to the duck house. After dumping the duck's food into the storage container, they "forgot" and left the cat food sitting in a corner. The next morning when I went to let the ducks out, the little stinkers (22 of them at that time) had managed to tear the bag open and eat all but 2-3 lbs. of it. Their crops were so full I literally thought they were going to explode!!

7. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:I have a mixed flock as well.
    Here is what I do. I have 2 feeders. One with all purposr pellets and one with oyster shell. Everyone eats the pellets and only the females eat the oyster shell as their bodies tell them to.

As far as friendliness, I love it! If they were housebroken, I would hve a duck or two sleeping with me too! Your ducks sound so cute!

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Mine will eat it if I put water in it.
    They will eat most anything with water in it. [​IMG]

9. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    thats funny! my ducks LOVE dog food.[​IMG]

10. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    All of my ducks love dog food, so do our turkeys, geese and chickens. We give it to them in the morning as a treat along with their scratch, corn and game bird kibbles. In the winter we give it to them at night also for the extra protein to help keep them warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by