What is up with my roosters feet???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DMSrabbit, Jan 5, 2011.

1. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I just got this guy like 2 weeks ago, and i have been noticing that he is kinda "ginger" on his feet. Meaning that he usually favors one leg, and hasn't really ran, or moved alot outside since he has been in my care. I noticed when i first got him i noticed his "webbing" between his toes was red, and the red was on part of his leg as well. I have never had a rooster before, and i have seen that testosterone reddens the skin, so i was just assuming that this was the cause of his redness. I have not had cause for concern, but now im kinda wondering if he is uncomfortable on his feet.. I tried to grab one of his feet while holding him and he DID NOT seem to enjoy that.. So now im freaked out, hes my favorite and i DO NOT want to lose him, or have him threatened in any way.. what is going on? Is this normal? Anyways heres the pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

2. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Does the underside of his foot look like this?:

[​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with elizabethbinary - you should inspect him for bumblefoot.

4. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Heres what i could get of the undersides. I had to do this myself and Ed didn't appreciate being in such an awkward position for such a long time.. So yeah, here's what i got..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks swollen to me but I don't see the blk scab that usually says bumble foot. Hopefully someone else with experience with this will be able to help. I have 2 roos but haven't seen this,

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How is your roo now?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

8. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Hes still a little ginger on them, but improving. He waddled around ALOT today.. I dunno maybe hes happier now?

9. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Looks to me like he might of sprained, strained, fractured, or broke something in his foot. That's good if he is doing better. If it is still swollen then you might want to give him a mild anti-inflammatory. If he is not any better you might want to try contacting a vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by