What is up with these laying places?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by honda_DT, May 17, 2011.

1. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I have 12 chickens and up until today i was getting 1 egg a day.(new chickens) Now 2 eggs, but the problem is the places that they are getting laid. For example the first egg was under the walkway from the coop to the run. Next was in the middle of the run, then the middle of the coop, then RIGHT infront of the coop door covered in poo [​IMG] , then one in the back of the coop and another on the left side. I have 5 nest boxes filled with dry grass but none seems to want the lay in them. [​IMG] Any help? also i am trying leaving the new eggs in the coop for a day but moving them up into a nest box.

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    mine figured it out eventually. did put golf balls in nests to remind them where to go.

3. honda_DT

May 12, 2011
    Ok i will try that again thanks. the first time they still had no idea.

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Make sure your nesting boxes are in a quiet, dark place inside the coop and put plastic eggs or golf balls back in the nests and leave them there. I don't think there's a magical formula. In time they'll figure it out. I wouldn't leave the eggs in the coop because if they get broken your pullets will discover they're delicious and you'll have another problem on your hands.

5. honda_DT

May 12, 2011
    Ok thanks, ill stop keeping the eggs in the coop for longer than needed but do the plastic purple and pink and red easter eggs work or will the chickens be like what the heck is this? i aint keepin no babies up in here!?

6. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I don't think chickens can differentiate color. I have all kinds of colored plastic easter eggs in the nest boxes: pink, purple, blue, green and yellow. They figured it out.

I do have a whole new batch of chickens who aren't at point of laying yet ... and during this past easter season, bought a whole lot more plastic eggs, including very small eggs to put in with my bantams.

Should be just fine. Remember that they like closed-in nests. I use small plastic cat kennels.

7. honda_DT

May 12, 2011
    The golf ball worked!! Thanks!! Almost every egg so far is in one of the coops.

Last edited: May 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by