What Is Used To Grow Seedless Fruit?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    If some fruit are seedless, then what is used to grow them? Surely not seeds. [​IMG]

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    [​IMG]

Just dig a big hole and plant the whole fruit!! [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yep. They are a hybred cross that produces very few seeds, so are a dead-end genetically.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I always thought they were grafts? Most fruit varieties are since much fruit varieties do not reproduce true from seeds anyway.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    A graft will produce whatever kind of fruit it is genetically programmed to produce. Grafts are usually used to take advantage of a heathly, hardy disease-free and larger root system for shoots off another tree. The tree that produces the shoots is going to be the plant with fruits with very few (really not completely none) seeds. This plant is usually either a genetic anomaly, or a hybred cross that is relatively seedless. The tree that is used for the root system usually is vigourous with good roots but is not such a great producer itself. That is why the water sprouts (shoots at the base of the graft base) should be kept trimmed back, or they will overtake the grafted-on shoot.

Some very commonly used fruit trees have almost zero genetic diversity, as they are based on just one original plant that was used for grafts. These trees are basically clones and are not true breeding.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Vegetative propagation gets the job done. Grafting, layering, cuttings, etc all may work depending upon the plant to be propagated.

7. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Did you know those expensive Japanese maples, Bradford pear trees and peach trees are grafted?

8. happytraylz

happytraylz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Interesting topic-guess I'd never thought about where my seedless fruit comes from.. [​IMG]

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Well, as you can tell, I have been thinking and racking my brain as to how can they grow seedless fruit without having any seeds to grow it with. [​IMG]

10. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:Well, as you can tell, I have been thinking and racking my brain as to how can they grow seedless fruit without having any seeds to grow it with. [​IMG]

I always think... I'd like to plant some seedless watermelons... and then my brain stalls... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by