What is with all this YELLING???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amsunshine, Aug 6, 2010.

1. amsunshine

amsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    Got my girls March 24 and I THINK they should start laying pretty much anytime now, right?

I have 3: 1 BO, 1 EE, and 1 AO.

The last week or so my EE has been NOISY starting around 7 AM or so. She YELLS like a BANSHEE!!!! I have no idea what is getting her shorts in a knot. I can hear my BO making calming noises as if to say, "It's OK, you might want to quiet down a bit." My AO can be a bit noisy too but nothing like my EE. The EE kind of quiets down toward late morning/early afternoon.

My EE is also the LEAST tame of all of them. Remember I have an indoor coop and I handle them every day, yet my EE still runs from me every time. My BO is a tame little sweetie, would not trade her for the world. My AO used to run from me and just the last couple days she is squatting when I go to pick her up so I think she is actually getting more tame which is good. When I pick them up, 90% of the time I take them outside for a little foraging time and my AO is boundlessly curious and I think she has figured out that when I pick her up, she gets to go exciting places!

But WHAT is with all of this YELLING on the part of my EE??

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, I'm not sure about the yelling, but the other hen that squats is a sure sign that eggs will be layed within a few weeks, or even days. That squat is a sign of maturity....they think of you as their rooster, and they are "assuming the mating position" for you. Alot of chickens do a little egg song after they have layed, and maybe your EE is beginning to get those egg laying feelings......

3. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    chicmon sounds like she is dead on. Sounds like you will be getting some nice eggs real soon.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I have a bo hen and 3 pullets of different breeds, My BO yells when she wants something like this morning I woke up later then usual went out to the girls and I never heard the like of it before she was ticked. all she wanted was for me to let them out to free range lol. with your ee I think you need to talk chicken there probably is something she wantsand your just not giving it to her.
    gl figuring that 1 out .
    erica

5. amsunshine

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    OK something is going on. Now my EE has dug herself a depression in the bedding, against the coop wall under a ladder, and is sitting there VERY quietly. Looks like she just wants to be left alone, now. Her comb is LIGHT pink. It was bright red earlier today.

I don't want to disturb her if she is laying her first egg, so unless y'all think otherwise, I will leave her alone to figure out whatever she needs to figure out.

6. amsunshine

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    LOOKY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS is the reason for all of that yelling--she had TWO eggs in her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her first egg and she lays not one but TWO!!!!!!!!!!! I am so EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    oh lucky you, I told you she wanted something, you just didn't know what, I'd be yelling too if I had to eggs stuck up my butt.

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    LOL .. my EES are OBNOXIOUS loud .. I always laugh when I hear about places that only allow hens because of the noise.. my hens are MUCH noiser than my roo..

Congrats on the eggs!

9. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG] Yes, when hens lay their eggs, they have to tell every buddy. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by