What is with roos and the color red???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We have a perfect gentlemen rooster...good protector, calls his girls for food...all the perks. But man...he does NOT like the color red. Wife's sister was watching the birds while we were on vacation and he flogged her one day while we were on the phone with her. She was wearing red sweat pants. Yesterday, my wife and I are out there in lawn chairs hanging out, and he flogs her...as she's wearing a red sweatshirt. He also went after my son while he was wearing a reddish halloween mask.

What the heck? [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know if it is just a coincidence or if it is something else. When hens are getting ready to start laying eggs, their comb and wattles turn a lot darker red and stay red while laying. When roosters are even starting to mature, their combs and wattles turn red. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I don't know the reason you want a rooster, but I would suggest, if your goals and reasons allow it, that you give real strong consideration of replacing that rooster. Whatever the reason he has turned humal aggressive, there are too many good roosters out there to risk keeping one that is human aggressive. I don't know how old your son is, but a roosters claws and spurs are sharp and many children's eyes are pretty close to rooster level.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Duplicate post. Connectivity glitch. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the individual. They sometimes dislike ladies housecoats. Heard of one that hated a red feed bucket. Some hate the color yellow. Just depends. I agree with Ridgerunner. Too many good ones to risk damage to a child, or a lawsuit........Pop

5. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    Is it just coincidence they were wearing red, or is that really the trigger? Just curious.

The roo that had been my lap pet since he was a baby started weird attacks on my foot when he reached sexual maturity. We got rid of the other 3 roos so he had a better chance with the girls, and they stopped. Recently, he has started pecking at my calf rather viciously (this will not continue!!!) and I'm pretty sure it has to do with their suddenly limited grazing area, the fact I usually carry treats which he likes to give to the ladies, or at the very least, the numerous moles and scars on my legs that may look like tasty bugs to him. My point being, if this is new behaviour, try to figure it out, and control it. I was just reading on here yesterday about controlling a peck-happy roo and how the 12yo owner tamed it, see link below:

"My (about) 5 month rooster is trying to peck me"
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=581842

Good luck!

PS: I'd like to save the roo, but your family's safety is first - don't everyone jump on me for keeping a peckin' roo, lol!

6. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I think it's just the color. We spend a TON of time out there. He's been with us since he was probably 5 weeks old, and has never shown any signs of aggressive behavior. She took the sweatshirt off, put it inside, then came back out and there were no more problems. We've since sat out there for some time, and never even got an inkling he was going to be bad. My sons sit outside with them for hours every weekend...nothing. Very strange. This is a roo we'd really hate to rid ourselves of, so I'm going to try and institute a no-red policy and see if that works. If it does...while it's strange and unexplainable, we'll continue and keep him. Too much time and money involved in getting him to this point.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My perfect gentleman roo fixates on my red Crocs, or when I wear a long skirt with a red hem. I can break him out of the early stage of his trance, just before he launches at my feet or that hem by saying his name quite loudly.

Once I wore a red sweatshirt embellished with Holiday Season appliques, and he started circling me.

I just don't wear the Crocs and that skirt into the yard after work any more.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Isn't it crazy what they hate sometimes? My old roo hated my mucking boots and would attack them even if they were just sitting empty on the steps. My goose hates yellow measuring tapes and will attack them anytime anyone whips one out. She's nearly given heart attacks to several contractors over the years.

I don't know what they are seeing when they see red and yellow, but both colors seem to irritate some birds.

I guess you need to ban anyone from wearing red at your house. [​IMG]

Good luck.

9. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    Too funny. Speaking of attacks, I had to clip the wings of my Australorp hens last night, and my roo thought I was trying to kill them! the turkeys weren't too sure of my motives, and let the hens huddle under them like baby chicks. As I circled around, Roofus would grab my pants, trying to stop me. When I finally caught one, as I held it in my lap, Roofus jumped up there too to protect her. Thank goodness he likes me enough to wait and figure out what I was doing before going for my eyes! When I was done, the 4 lorps jumped in the dust hole, bathing the human off them, as Roofus guarded them, eyeing me suspiciously. I think the only thing that saved me was the petting and treats I gave them as I clipped - especially the ones I gave the rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by