1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is with their heads?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kidhenduckohmy, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Kidhenduckohmy

Kidhenduckohmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2012
    Upper Michigan
    Why are they losing feathers on their heads. Started with the one this spring, now others are doing the same thing. Nothing but pink skin.[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are they? Are they of age to start their molt(16-18 months?) Looks like they have been feather-picked by their buddies. I suppose they could have mites, but chickens will pick feathers sometimes if they lack protein in their diets, are overcrowded, or bored.

3. Kidhenduckohmy

Kidhenduckohmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2012
    Upper Michigan
    Thay are about 15-16 months? Not sure about leghorns. We were told they were a year last fall. There coop is small but I have been letting them out early and their run is very large. Plus they run all over yard after 4:00. Could they peck at each other before 4:30-5:00am? I will start adding more protein and we are in the process of getting rid of some. I was just afraid to give a problem to someone else if they had some disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by