What is with this chicken's foot???? Bumblefoot??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CndDes, Mar 14, 2016.

1. CndDes

CndDes New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canadian prairie
    Hello,
    My kids and I are currently covering chores for their cousins.
    I noticed one of the chickens had a foot that didn't look right, I finally managed to catch her today (only one of the hens is touchablely tame).

From researching I think it might be bumblefoot, I don't yet have birds of my own (I am stuck in town with bylaws against it so best I get is helping my sister & her kids on their farm close by) so I am guessing.
    :frowAlso the bottom of her foot seems fine, unlike most descriptions I have seen of bumblefoot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That's what it looks like to me. Those swollen areas can pop up on the top of the feet between the toes. Most of the time there is also a dark spot on the foot pad. There are many threads and videos on bumblefoot care and surgery by searching at the top of this page. TheChickenChick.com also has a very good article with pictures and a video on the surgery.

3. CndDes

CndDes New Egg

Mar 14, 2016
    Canadian prairie
    thanks for the response. I figured it was but just wanted to check with others with more experience.

sorry for the late reply, computer issues :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by