What is wrong and how do I help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Calea, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Calea

Calea Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Hopefully someone can help with this: My duck is acting very bothered like he has something either biting his rear end or something in his butt. Even when he gets in the water it doesn't seem to go away. Should I catch him and check him. What would I be looking for?

Thanks for any help.

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I would catch and look closely...maybe a type of external parasite?Or possibly...(hopefully not) flystrike....you should definitely look asap as I know things can get out of hand very quickly with birds!
    Let us know what you find...

3. Calea

Calea Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Thanks for your reply. We caught him this morning and checked as well as we could. Couldn't see ANYTHING. I'm thinking maybe he has mites (although we couldn't see them.) Not sure if we should attempt to treat for mites or let him be and hope that he can control it. Things I have read said a healthy duck can control it. This is the mallard that I rescued and is going to be wild and set free. I know that if he was in *nature* nobody would do anything about this and assume it would take care of itself, but it is hard to know what to do. [​IMG]

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I would dust the bird with permethrin and see if it stops the itching.Also,is this duck used to people? If you try to release it and it is not properly rehabbed...it's chances will not be good for survival.
    Are you familiar with ducks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by