what is wrong with Blackie????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peepsandquackes, Nov 12, 2013.

1. peepsandquackes

peepsandquackes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2013
    VA
    My silkie has been sitting like this (lethargic like) for 2 days. Not egg bound. Has poop on back end. Any helps???[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How do you know she is not egg bound? Have you checked? To make an accurate diagnosis, I need more information: how old is Blackie, what is she fed, does she eat/drink normally, any discharge from eyes/nostrils, what is her crop like, etc.? If younger than 6 months, Coccidiosis is a possibility. If older, then could be egg bound, be internally laying, or have worms. At any age she could have impacted crop or a respiratory disease.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. We need more information.

4. peepsandquackes

Nov 6, 2013
    VA
    Blackie is 2. She eats layer pellet. Yes has been eating and drinking fine until Sunday. Yes I've checked for egg bound and her crop feels fine to me. No discharge in eyes or nose. Green poop that was stuck to her...like stickyish.... she has eaten some yogurt, honey water, and boiled egg with a dropper. Has moved around. I had a chick this spring that was this way and I revived it with boiled egg, grits and milk by dropper. This chick had a very weird crop where it was far to the side and stayed full a long time. She is now fine.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I'd check her for worms. If that's not the case, the next thing I'd do is contact a vet and see if you could get some albon for it. I'd also bring her in the house with added warmth. Feed her a hi pro regimin along with nutri drench, fresh garlic in her mash, acv in her water. Make sure she is eating and drinking. The green poo on her butt fluff is worrysome in that depending on the color is could denote liver issues. In that case, milk thistle could help with that. The albon is an antibiotic that is excellent for the digestive system. Yes, it's also a cocci med.

6. peepsandquackes

Nov 6, 2013
    VA
    Thanks. I hope she will get better soon. :-[

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  7. peepsandquackes

Nov 6, 2013
    VA
    Unfortunately I have sad news...Blackie was released from her ailment this morning. I tried offering her all her favorites to no avail.
    Blackie the Silkie born two years ago was released from suffering this morning at 6:30. She passed away from unknown causes. Viewing is held today from 10-12. Funeral at 1. Pallbearer is Bear (lab mix) She leaves to mourn many friends and Monroe her husband of two months. * please do not fret...Bear will not really be the Pallbearer

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry for your loss!

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California