what is wrong with giving RAW eggshells ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladyearth, Oct 22, 2016.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Now I IMMEDIATELY,immediately walk outside and crunch up in my hand the two eggshells ,while I am walking to their fenced area.... while the eggs I am eating are in the skillet cooking....
    I know read about bacteria... But what about when one lays a semibusted egg or soft egg out in the field and they all fight over or jockey for it like wild bunch of hengries.... even ROO ROO.
    otherwise other day baked the shells in oven then crunched up and put it in with their free choice oyster shell...
    thanks all

2. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    The issue with feeding eggshells is that your chickens may get a taste for it and start eating their eggs.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    IMO feeding raw egg shells or broken eggs to the flock is no more likely to cause them to become egg eaters than feeding them cooked chicken is likely to cause them to start frying up their own roost mates. Meet the dietary needs of the flock, and the shells will be firm enough that there won't be any broken/weak eggs in the nest. It's normal flock behavior to eliminate weak eggs to avoid attracting predators. After meeting dietary needs, cull any flock members that still have weak shells, and the problem won't be passed on to future generations. Further, weak shells are more often a seasonal problem (late winter). Tincture of time will take care of that.

I used to dry shells, then carefully bake them to eliminate any bacteria, then carefully grind them up before taking them out to the flock. Now, if I have any shells, I take them out to the yard, toss them on the ground and stomp on them. Job finished. Flock fat and sassy. No egg eaters.

4. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    As long as you crush them up a bit, I see nothing wrong with feeding eggshells raw. I do it all the time... even when I'm giving them hard boiled eggs. I just tap the egg against something hard to crack it, then squeeze it in my hand a bit then toss it on the ground. It breaks apart when it hits the ground, and the birds go for it. They have never tried to break into an egg on their own.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Just remember that eggshells are not a replacement for oyster shell free choice, for high egg producing hens. Mary

1 person likes this.
  6. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    That is a very important point.

7. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    I added other day to the already in place oyster shell......
    i readthat Argonite or whatever its called etc may be better. who knows?

8. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    I have also been looking at aragonite too, but unsure of where to get. Is the aquarium sand aragonite the same? Seems to me I feed my chickens gravel (grit) so sand wouldn't be an issue for them.

9. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    I saw it on few websites and I think I bought some years ago when I wanted to do worm casting, etc compost tea using a 30 gallon barrel and air bubblerI know I saw some Ferrell brand on a site
    One member ,whom was great to pm me ,uses what she called argonite "flour" with eggshells....
    just a saying take care all

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Has anyone looked at actual information about aragonite as a Ca source for laying hens? Asked a poultry expert at a university? Research? I have no idea myself, but would want to know about it before getting it. Meanwhile, oyster shell is cheap and available, and does have proven good results. I do like to keep things simple! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by