What is wrong with Henny Penny?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShelterGirl, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Our dear Henny Penny started going backwards in her progress when she marked her first week home yesterday. Her stool suddenly got extremely watery and it appeared to be tapeworms in it- so I went and got a tiny bottle of wormer. The price of love... -___-

But it wouldn't allow treatment to start until the next day. Then upon closer examination, it was not worms. It was extremely stringy feces and it was....not a pretty sight. It started getting more watery ntil it was just pure, clouded water. And then my aunt was cleaning her cage out and she said H.P. suddenly threw up hot water on her.

We were asking ourselves, WHAT in the world. I felt her craw and she was real warm- feverish. It cooled down towards the evening and her stool got to looking better once we pulled the water out, and gave her small amounts at certain intervals.

She is doing alot better with the injuries and is growing her feathers back finally, but she was still watered down a bit this morning.

Any ideas what might be going on and how to help her? Please keep her in your thoughts and/or prayers.

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I don't have a clue as to what could be wrong, but I will keep my fingers crossed for your hen. [​IMG]

3. ShelterGirl

Apr 3, 2011
    Quote:Thank you!

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Could it be a crop impaction or sour crop?? Crop massages and or rinses might help. I have seen posts explaining how to do this. If you search these terms here on BYC you will see some fantastic threads to help you. Luckly, I haven't had to deal with anything like this yet.

Good luck, and keep us posted on her progress.

5. awwwwww no. this can not happen to her!!! she has made it through SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will cross my fingers as well for you both and say a little prayer. come on little girl, you gotta pull through this. sheltergirl needs you!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ShelterGirl

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I just got home from work and am about to check on her now. [​IMG] Will post again once I am updated on her.

7. so, how is our girl doing today?

8. ShelterGirl

Apr 3, 2011
    fishnet1971-

She's still hving the same problem [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by