What is wrong with her comb?

Ayarlott

Hatching
Mar 15, 2021
Hello,
I noticed my Buff Orpington has an “issue” with her comb, can someone tell me if I should be concerned, please?
7ED98921-ED9D-4493-AC46-286E3BF4855D.jpeg
C400FD38-E9CC-495B-A99B-0122B2E0D15F.png

Looks like fowl pox, or maybe spider bite. Separate her and treat with iodine.

"
Fowl pox is mostly caused by mosquitos. The disease will slowly pass through your flock. Since it's a virus, there arnt any treatments. Once the disease passes, your birds will be immune to that particular strain. It can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the disease to run its course.

Bacterial infections can be caused by birds scratching lesions, especially around the eyes. You can put an antibiotic ointment in the eyes, such as terramycin eye ointment, neosporin ointment, or triple antibiotic ointment as needed until the eyes are healed. Apply just a little ointment in each eye.

You can also put iodine or black shoe polish on the scabs in order to shrink them since they are very infective. Avoid the eyes at all costs if you use iodine or black shoe polish.
I recommend adding electrolytes or probiotics to their water or feed to help build up their immune system."

Looks like fowl pox, or maybe spider bite. Separate her and treat with iodine.
"
Fowl pox is mostly caused by mosquitos. The disease will slowly pass through your flock. Since it's a virus, there arnt any treatments. Once the disease passes, your birds will be immune to that particular strain. It can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the disease to run its course.

Bacterial infections can be caused by birds scratching lesions, especially around the eyes. You can put an antibiotic ointment in the eyes, such as terramycin eye ointment, neosporin ointment, or triple antibiotic ointment as needed until the eyes are healed. Apply just a little ointment in each eye.

You can also put iodine or black shoe polish on the scabs in order to shrink them since they are very infective. Avoid the eyes at all costs if you use iodine or black shoe polish.
I recommend adding electrolytes or probiotics to their water or feed to help build up their immune system
Thank you for answering, I appreciate your help!

Maybe a slight case of fowl pox or perhaps just a peck from another chicken.
I thought maybe she got pecked by another chicken. If I leave her be for a couple of days to see if she gets better in case it was a chicken peck, will it gets worse if it actually is fowl pox? Thank you!

I thought maybe she got pecked by another chicken. If I leave her be for a couple of days to see if she gets better in case it was a chicken peck, will it gets worse if it actually is fowl pox? Thank you!
It looks kind of yellow to be a Peck to me but it could have gotten infected. Put some non pain relieving neosprin on it, it could spread in the comb and face if it's pox, if you see any more appear, it's fowl pox.

Fowl pox will look bad and feel bad for your girls. Every bird will get it unfortunately. But remember once they get it they can't get it again. It will create cut and blisters on their face and open skin. Put use vaseline or Neosporin on the cuts. If it gets close to their eye give then eye drops 2-3 times a day. Veterycen eye drops are great. They will be ok. It will look bad. But one thing that got me through was knowing that chickens don't feel pain as much. Yes they feel it, but it isn't as bad and is humans. Your girls will be ok in a month. Scarring will go away. Some before and after pictures. All scarring went away over time.

Attachments

• 0E698B66-FEA7-4653-BDCF-ABC0E884CDE4.jpeg
    0E698B66-FEA7-4653-BDCF-ABC0E884CDE4.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 2
  • CEC54322-68E9-4D82-BF10-768D34B4968A.jpeg
    CEC54322-68E9-4D82-BF10-768D34B4968A.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 2
  • C2C912BC-4836-4F2E-AF3B-C795F0DCDED4.jpeg
    C2C912BC-4836-4F2E-AF3B-C795F0DCDED4.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 220B831A-33FD-4BAA-80D8-DB62FA706C4B.jpeg
    220B831A-33FD-4BAA-80D8-DB62FA706C4B.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 2
Fowl pox will look bad and feel bad for your girls. Every bird will get it unfortunately. But remember once they get it they can't get it again. It will create cut and blisters on their face and open skin. Put use vaseline or Neosporin on the cuts. If it gets close to their eye give then eye drops 2-3 times a day. Veterycen eye drops are great. They will be ok. It will look bad. But one thing that got me through was knowing that chickens don't feel pain as much. Yes they feel it, but it isn't as bad and is humans. Your girls will be ok in a month. Scarring will go away. Some before and after pictures. All scarring went away over time.
Thank you! I’ll start putting stuff on it, if I can get her, she is my only girl who keeps her distance from everyone. I really appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom