what is wrong with her foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Julielle500, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Julielle500

Julielle500 Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2013
    Windsor, CA
    My Gold Sex Link Juanita won't stand on her left foot. Up until the time I found her (about an hour ago) she has been fine. No limping leading up to it or anything that I noticed. I saw the posts on Bumblefoot so I checked her out and don't see any scabs, sores, injuries or bumps. I ran my hand all over the foot and leg and she doesn't seem to be reacting from pain. I tried putting my finger under her foot to see if she would grasp it. She did on her good foot but not the one that she won't walk on.

When I put her back in the run she just laid right back down on the ground and her foot is shaking like it is in a weakend state or something. She tries to stand up but won't put weight on that foot. She leans against the fence or just stands on one foot. She seems otherwise healthy. I gave her some food and some water and she took it from me. She is now in a box in my bathroom with the light off so she will rest and not move around until I figure out what to do with her. I guess it is possible she injured her leg somehow but I'm not really sure. Other than keeping her in the box in my bathroom is there anything else I should do? Splint the leg? ???

2. Lupa Duende

Lupa Duende Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    If you choose to splint the foot check out how to construct a carboard 'elbow' so she can distribute the weight a bit better.
    She could just have a sprain but isolating, splinting, ane tons of calcium rich treats may help.

3. Julielle500

Julielle500 Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2013
    Windsor, CA
    How about the bathroom light? Should I turn it on for her during the day or keep her in the dark so she rests giving the leg time to recuperate? Maybe just turn it on for an hour or so in the morning and afternoon so that she can eat and drink and then turn it back off? How long is ok to keep her in the dark?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by