What is wrong with her? **pics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by igotchickens, Jan 29, 2011.

1. igotchickens

igotchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Hi guys, please help! I posted this a few days ago and only got one reply!! Please help!! I did do a search but couldn't find a clear way to handle this problem.

My pullet has a bubbly eye, only her left eye seems to be affected. The membrane looks a tiny bit swollen too. She is eating and drinking normally, is not lethargic and isn't exhibiting any behaviors that look different than any of my healthy hens. Nose and throat also look normal and I haven't noticed any sneezing. Poop is also fine. I've never had a sick hen before but she seems fine other than the eye thing. What do you guys think and how to treat? I've been treating with saline rinse and terramycin ointment 2 times a day, but it's not getting any better (5 days of treatment so far). In case anyone is wondering, no she doesn't smell terrible, so its' not Coryza.

Here are some pics, the last one is a picture of her blinking, I decided to add it in case the membrane looks abnormal to you... Please help! Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hillary and friend's eggs

Hillary and friend's eggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2010
    Hmm..well that doesn't look very good..[​IMG]

I don't know what it's called, and I don't THINK it's fatal or anything, but I had a fish with a similar problem, some medicine from the pet store cleared it up. I think if you go to a vet, IF you want to take a chicken to the vet, he might have some medicine for the problem. If not, It looks like something a surgery could clear up.

Like I said I don't think the chicken will die or anything, but if you could take her to a vet, I am near positive they could fix it. If you got it fixed, it would make her eyesight and overall appearance better. But this is if you want to take a chicken to a vet..I don't think home remedies will help on this one. Don't feel crazy if you take your chicken to the vet, I do without a second thought when one of my babies is injured! [​IMG]

Well I hope this helps, and keep me updated![​IMG]

3. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    could this be pink eye?

4. chickens egg me on

chickens egg me on Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    I notice there is what appears to be a black or dark red dot just outside of the eye to the left in the picture. Is that an injury?

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
  6. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    Chicken eggs on me - its dark now but in the morning I'll check out that dark spot. I never even noticed that!

Ema - I'm confused. How does it look and sound like Coryza? There is no sneezing, wheezing, breathing open mouthed, no nasal discharge OR swelling of the face. I had posted that initially as well as mentioning the fact that she doesn't stink. Also, no diarrhea, so what would make you diagnose it as Coryza? The only symptom of Coryza she has is the bubbles, which could mean many things... please let me know if you've had this issue with your own chickens and/or if there's anything you see in the pic that makes you think that so I can treat appropriately.

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Could she possibly have worms? Many people do check their birds eyes.

8. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:Oops sorry I sent you the wrong link.....I will look for the one I was going to send you...I was copying the coryza one for my own personal files.

the one I wanted to send you was an eye infection caused from an eye injury such as being pecked or running into something sharp like chicken wire etc....I just happened to notice the black spot on your hens eye and typed in eye infection.

anyhow I did find another one earlier that sort of looks like yours but I don't think the OP ever got any help figuring it out. here is the link to that one maybe you could pm the OP

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69766

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks to me like a reaction to a peck mark just forward of her eye. That would be a best case scenario.

10. igotchickens

Nov 2, 2010
    Thanks Ema and all for the optimistic diagnosis! I will definitely check it out first thing in the morning. I wonder why I had never noticed it before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by