What is wrong with his comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by funonahonda, Dec 24, 2008.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Let him out to free range and this was found on his comb, Anyone know whats up? Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh boy. That looks like classic frost bite there. The tips are turning back, meaning he probably had them bit a week ago and the tissue is now necrotic and basically dying off. Some may advise dubing him just below that black line, as all the tissue starting at the black line along the top will eventually die and fall off, IF he does not get an infection from it. Looks like his wattles got some too so they may have to come off.

There are a few posts on frost bite and dubbing, so perhaps you can look them up.

3. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thanks alot silkiechicken, Thats what I thought but just wanted to ask the experts on here. There was a nice write up on dubbing in on issue of BACKYARD POULTRY magazine, so I guess I'll try to read that. Again thanks alot

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry about your roo! Frost bite is extremely painful. Hope he heals well. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by