what is wrong with his feet? - please help - (pictures)...

kimb

Songster
13 Years
Nov 30, 2009
New Hampshire
foot4.jpg

foot3.jpg

foot2.jpg

foot1.jpg

both of his feet look like this (and no one elses does)

7 month old D'uccle Roo -

he's not lame - I did separate him 2 weeks ago because he had a bloody foot blood feather ... - there were mild signs of the redness ... I treated with bagbalm on the bloody foot - and permethrin10 on the other one at that time.

what is wrong with him ? !

My big Roo Daddy Cletis has always had redish feet. No irritation or problems. I use to wonder what was up but it is just the color of his skin, he is around 4 yo now and they look the same. One of his off spring roos had the same coloring on his feet also.

His feet weren't like this before - I know the pictures don't help much (camera phone pictures). But they are VERY red - much more so than his pink skin. . .

No experience here, but I have read that hormones can cause the red on the legs/feet. Sounds like your 7 month old roo is growing up.

Imp

Has he always had slate/grey legs? Because if so, honestly, I say he's just growing up. . . ALL of my Marans cockerels, whatever color they be, have the same bright reddish pink coloring where the feathering and inner toes are. I think it is just a part of being a cockerel with feather shanked grey/slate/pearl colored legs. Nothing to worry of.

Your boy has reached sexual maturity and hormones have colored his feet. Has nothing to do with feathers on his legs or even the original color of his legs. I've had roos with all color legs turn red at maturity, and both feather-legged and clean-legged.

Well I guess that's a relief
smile.png

I thought they had the potential to be a bit scaly (the scales at the tips of the toes were a little picked up). So that's why I treated with permethrin10 and bag balm on the foot with the broken feather (figured the permethrin10 would sting)... I treated later with permethrin10 for both legs ... then I thought maybe it burned him (but nothing look liked a burn)...

I'll probably treat again with permethrin10 (for everyone)... just to be on the safe side. But now he can't go down with the flock as I was letting him walk around the barn -and he made it down to the yard and immediately picked a fight with his hatchmate banty cochin roo - - when I broke that fight up - he moved on to my big LFcochin roo (who thankfully isn't very coordinated or aggressive! ) cause he could do some damage pretty quickly if he really had it in him - he's no light weight ! ...

So now it's separate pen for him out of the ICU
smile.png

I've had tons of roosters - I don't ever recall any of their feet turning red ... but honestly I don't think I ever paid that much attention anyway. As growing up - Roosters were those that we stayed FAR away from
smile.png

There is nothing wrong with your rooster's feet. Some just look like that. I have a HUGE Wheaten Marans rooster with feet just like that.

Back
Top Bottom