What is wrong with my baby chick??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurelannu, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Laurelannu

Laurelannu Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Hi...We are having an emergency! I have 5 baby chicks that are all around 5 weeks old. I went to check on them for the 3rd time today and out of nowhere one of my silkies is having a major issue. I'm thinking she has either maybe broken her neck in the wore crate she is in, or has some neurological issue that just cam on. She can't hold her head up normal. She has twisted her neck to the point of her chin/under beak is straight up and upside down. Sometimes she starts flapping her wings about maybe trying to get her balance but can't. What do I do??? I feel horrible. I can't tell if she is in pain or not. My 3 kids are all hysterical. This is really sad to see. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Laurelannu

Laurelannu Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    It's called wry neck. It's simply a vitamin dificiantcy and is very curable if you act now. Most chicks with it live. I'm gonna attach some links in a post... give me a miinute too find them in the depths of my search history.

4. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2015
    California
  5. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Wry neck is common in silkies. You need to start treatment quickly. I have had success using human vitamins as follows:

Vitamin E - 1 400iu caplet pierced and squirted into mouth twice daily
    2 drop children's polyvisol liquid vitamins WITHOUT iron daily
    1/2 50 mcg selenium pills once daily
    1 vitamin B complex pill crushed into scrambled egg daily

If you search wry neck on YouTube there are several helpful videos regarding assisting feeding and drinking if required.
    You may want to seperate her from the other chicks for her safety but if she can see and hear them it may keep her calmed. If this seems to cause too much stress it may be necessary to bring her inside for a few days. A quiet environment is best.
    If she is having issues drinking provide watermelon, cantaloupe or cucumber to peck to keep fluids up.

I know it appears that your chick is doomed and in horrible pain but this can often be reversed with fast intervention. Let us know how she's doing and best wishes.

6. Laurelannu

Laurelannu Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    You guys are so awesome! She is slowly but surely getting better over the last 3-4 days. Hoping she returns back to normal soon. Thank you soooo much! I just assumed that her neck was probably broken, but thanks to you guys, it looks like she will pull through this! Who would have thought that this was a vitamin deficiency! Learn something every day! [​IMG]

7. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Glad to hear she's improving :)
    Don't be discouraged if she has a relapse on her road to recovery...it's not uncommon. And don't abruptly stop providing her supplements. After she has been completely normal for a week or more slowly wean off them. Best wishes.

8. Laurelannu

Laurelannu Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Will do and thank you soooo much for helping me save my little one! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by