What is wrong with my chick? (diseased)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickAficianado, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ChickAficianado

ChickAficianado Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Texas
    I bought a beautiful white Silkie about a year ago, about an hour away. I recently decided to get her a friend and went back to the same chicken place. It was dark outside and because I was holding a chicken, I didn't fully inspect the chicks I bought. I purchased two chicks that were about 3-4 months old, both Silkies, one buff and the other black. The next day I went outside to get a better look. The black Silkie had one eye swelled shut, with a growth on top of the eye and a growth by the mouth. It was recommended for me to get Tylan 50. The farm store didn't have any and said it was about $60 for a bottle. They recommended that I use Tetroxy instead.

I've been opening the black Silkies eye daily, gently washing the eye and eye area with warm water, and putting the correct dosage of Tetroxy in the water. Buff chicken was fine yesterday and suddenly died! Black chicken is still not opening her eye. I'm now very concerned about what this is.

Any ideas?

I tried to get the best picture I could. Her face is wet, because I gently rinsed the infected area. She has a growth above the eye and hardened skin near the corner of her beak.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. ChickAficianado

Sep 2, 2012
    Texas
    (bump)

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    The picture isn't showing.

If I were you, I'd be returning the chicks to where you got them. I would say exchange, but I'd be afraid that everything they have is infected.

4. ChickAficianado

Sep 2, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]

5. ChickAficianado

Sep 2, 2012
    Texas
    I may return it, if that's an option... but does anyone know what may be wrong with it?

6. ChickAficianado

Sep 2, 2012
    Texas
    I did take the diseased chick back. It was great spending (all together) 4 hours of driving and around $10-15 to basically have a dead chicken, a returned diseased chicken, and the fear of something happening to my chickens. Anyway, I immediately put MY three chicks on tricyclin for about a week. They really don't quite seem sick, but just a bit tired ever since. I'm worried that they have been trying to fight off whatever the chicken had (most likely Cankor). I'm thinking about putting them back on tricyclin for 2 more weeks. Any thoughts?

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would scrub down every thing I could and get them some vitamins. If you order Tylan on line, it's a powder and it doesn't cost that much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by