What is wrong with my chick?? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ElaynasChick, Oct 16, 2019.

1. ElaynasChick

ElaynasChick In the Brooder

Sep 30, 2019
    Hello!! so i just got my chicks today from the post office and one of my black copper marans seems like it's not doing so well it s the smallest out of all the chicks and it seems to be not able to walk very well, it gets pushed around and falls over a lot and usually when they are huddling it is close to the huddle but not actually in it. all the other birds are curious and found there food and water. it also it sits in one spot and rocks back and fourth and than seems to snap back into reality. if someone could help that would be great!! It has a leg band on could that be the issue??

2. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    Sometimes chicks don't make it through shipping stress. You can help by giving a drop or two of Nutridrench directly to the side of her beak. Add a little to everyone's water as well to give them a much needed boost. Your weak little chick will probably also need help getting warm. You can wrap her in a heating pad or carry her around in your shirt for a while till she gets nice and warm, but she'll need to stay warm for an extended period.

3. ElaynasChick

Sep 30, 2019
    she has been sitting under the heat lamp for like 45 minutes so she is probably warm by now. they all have electrolytes, probiotics, and vitamins in there water. i don't know if she can fully extend her legs because it looks really hard for her.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  4. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    That still sounds like shipping stress. Does your brooder have enough ventilation? Something like a plastic tote can get too hot with a heat lamp and it's difficult to breathe.

Otherwise, if most of the chicks are huddling together, then they could actually still be a bit cold, and your weak one hasn't had a chance to warm up yet. Did you see her drink yet? You might have to gently dip her beak in the water to show her.
    Hold her and see if she tries to cuddle into your neck seeking warmth. Sometimes it takes longer than you think for a stressed chick to actually warm up.

*edit* if she doesn't try to move at all, try a heating pad.

5. ElaynasChick

Sep 30, 2019
    she is really unbalanced so she can't really make it to the waterer so she just sits where every i put her so if i put her by the water i dip her beak in and i see that she got water when i do it but when i put her by the water and she just sits there swaying back and fourth and doesn't drink. i picked her up and she just feels totally limp or something she doesn't try the get away she just lays there. they huddle and then go play and get food and water for a while then go under the heat lamp then go get food...etc

6. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    Sorry I had to leave for a while. How is your chick doing now?

Luckily chicks don't need food for the first 24 hours, but she definitely needs to stay hydrated! And Poultry Nutridrench really is the best thing to perk up very lethargic and distressed babies. Can you make it to the feed store to get some?

You might need to separate her from the active chicks so she doesn't become a target or get trampled and give her lots of extra tlc if you want to save her. Cuddle her and carry her around next to your body or neck so she can feel another living thing... sometimes that can work wonders. At this point it doesn't seem like she can do anything on her own so you will have to do it all for her.
    Here's an old thread that has some detailed tips on how they save chicks that are failing to thrive:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-chicks-to-survive-hope-it-is-helpful.367608/

I hope someone else might be able to offer some more advice...

Quailobsessed likes this.
  7. ElaynasChick

Sep 30, 2019

8. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    Hi, I hope your chick is okay.

I think you have gotten some good advice but I thought I could give some advice and encouragement. I have owned chickens all my life and raised many chicks (chicken and quail chicks). I have been in situations like this before with weak chicks and I agree with feathermind, the best thing you can do for your chick is to keep her warm and keep her with you. With her 'mother' around, she will have a stronger will to survive than being trampled in a brooder.

On a note of encouragement, I have taken cold, half dead chicks (quail chicks) from a mother that's abandoned them to die and with a day of warming them, spending time with them and 'clucking' to them (It really works), they have pulled through to be strong adults. Different situation but it can really revive chicks.

feathermaid likes this.
  9. ElaynasChick

Sep 30, 2019
    Thank you for all the support. i want to the brooder to get her so i could hold her and i found her laying on her side and i was like Oh wow i can't believe she already passed away, but thankfully i bugged her a little and she woke up.i am holding her now! she really tries to walk but she just falls :(. also turns out my farm store carries the Nutridrench so i am gonna go pick that up.

BirdsBeesTrees and Quailobsessed like this.
  10. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    I am currently doing this for my quail chick that can't stand properly. I wish you all the best for you and your little one. Keep persevering and she will too.

ElaynasChick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: