What is wrong with my chick? Impacted crop? sour crop? something else?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I posted another thread last night about my chick thinking she had sour crop since her crop was squishy. I checked this morning and it didn't feel squishy but I felt a small ball maybe golf ball size BUT it didn't really feel on the right side of her chest but more centered and up a bit so almost just under her neck. Is this an impacted crop? They had no food or water overnight until I checked. I let everyone else out of the coop but left her in with the door closed (they don't go in it during the day at all right now) with some water and nothing else. I read oil for impacted crop. so should I try that? Her balance is off, I saw her poop before I put her in the coop last night and that looked normal. She will lose her balance when walking though and either stumble and fall over or put her wings out to catch herself from falling over. She is still running all over and runs away from me. I have water with sav-a-chick and some garlic in with her but when I showed her it this morning she wouldn't drink it as she was more interested in going out.

Hope someone can tell me what to do and how long to keep her separated. I can bring her in the house or bring the dog crate out to the run so she can see the others or leave her in the coop but not sure what will be less stressful for her.

It sounds like more may be going on with this chick than a crop disorder. By the way, it is always best to add to an existing thread since all of the background info is already there and can help us form a more complete picture. If you wish, for your own reasons, to start a new thread on the same chicken, then provide a link back to the original thread.

You can go ahead and give the chick oil. It can't hurt. I use coconut oil slightly chilled and then stuff the solid bits of oil into the chick's beak. If this chick is over eight weeks old, use a teaspoon of oil. Under eight weeks, use half.

It sounds like more may be going on with this chick than a crop disorder. By the way, it is always best to add to an existing thread since all of the background info is already there and can help us form a more complete picture. If you wish, for your own reasons, to start a new thread on the same chicken, then provide a link back to the original thread.

You can go ahead and give the chick oil. It can't hurt. I use coconut oil slightly chilled and then stuff the solid bits of oil into the chick's beak. If this chick is over eight weeks old, use a teaspoon of oil. Under eight weeks, use half.
Thanks. I am having my daughter pick me up some coconut oil to try that. I will add this to the original thread. I didn't get any answers and thought where it said sour crop on that maybe I should start a new one to figure out what is going on. Once my daughter is home and it is easier I will try to get some pictures of where I feel the hard lump to try to help.

She is 7 weeks old. How often do I give the coconut oil? I read to massage it after to try to break up the stuff after you give them the oil? is this correct?

I believe I am having a similar problem. I have two chicks ~6 weeks old, both seem to have very swollen crops. Their broodmate died yesterday, and my bro-in-law asked me to care for them since he didn’t have the time. They are also kind of scraggly looking, their real feathers that are coming in seem sparse and roughed up. The skin around their crop seems red.
Did you have any luck with the coconut oil? I’ve just given them some on a dish and they eat it on their own, but less than half a teaspoon each. I’ve also given them some epsom salt water. They spent the day today indoors with a heat lamp, no food, but lots of water and the coconut oil. One just laid down on its side to rest instead of with its feet under it. Normal? Dying? I have no clue honestly

I believe I am having a similar problem. I have two chicks ~6 weeks old, both seem to have very swollen crops. Their broodmate died yesterday, and my bro-in-law asked me to care for them since he didn’t have the time. They are also kind of scraggly looking, their real feathers that are coming in seem sparse and roughed up. The skin around their crop seems red.
Did you have any luck with the coconut oil? I’ve just given them some on a dish and they eat it on their own, but less than half a teaspoon each. I’ve also given them some epsom salt water. They spent the day today indoors with a heat lamp, no food, but lots of water and the coconut oil. One just laid down on its side to rest instead of with its feet under it. Normal? Dying? I have no clue honestly
It would be best to start your own thread if you want a discussion about this. Ask your bro-in-law if he has been giving foods other than chick feed to these chicks without providing grit. That might be a clue as to why these chicks are behaving this way, and it doesn't sound good for them.

sorry I am not really sure. I would check their crop first thing in the morning before they have anything and see if it is still big or if it goes down. I know my chicks will have big crops during they day but they go down overnight. The one that is sick isn't a crop issue but I am not sure what it is. I wish I could help more but mine are only 8 weeks old and my first chicks in a long long time (like over 35 years) so I don't know much more than stuff I have read. I would try to post (if you haven't yet) and hopefully someone more experienced can answer. good luck with your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom