what is wrong with my chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spraguegretchen, Dec 17, 2016.

1. spraguegretchen

spraguegretchen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    so i have a chick (about 12 weeks) who was limping a little about 4 days ago. checked over saw nothing. the next night she was beginning to seem lethargic. so i brought her in. by the next morning she could not stand on her own. she is bright , normal breathing but cannot stand. seems off balance. her feet/toes are not completely paralyzed. her toes are doing some curling. her legs will shake some when i am holding her. she sits back on her hocks then flops over. her crop is not emptying from what i can tell. she is still eating some, not drinking a ton of water. her stool is normal, no parasites. no lesions on feet. she is from Sand Hill Preservation. i am adding some pics. any other thoughts? should i cull her? all of the rest of the flock seem fine at the moment. TIA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
  3. spraguegretchen

spraguegretchen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    yes she is, thanks!

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    You're welcome! :D

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like Mareks. Most do not survive Mareks, and those that do are carriers for life. There is no treatment for Mareks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by