What is wrong with my chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bacongirl27, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Bacongirl27

Bacongirl27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    here is a picture of my chicken two days ago
    [​IMG]
    and here is a picture of her today
    [​IMG]
    I know the lighting is different but it is the same chick.
    What is causing this?
    Does she have worms?
    They are approx 4 weeks old and I noticed that her crop is enlarged.
    All of the other chicks look fine, and she is acting normal.

What do think is wrong and what should I do to fix it? [​IMG]

2. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    mabye she is crop bound?
    i would try to feed her warm water and massage the crop

3. Bacongirl27

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    Would that cause loss of feathers?

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

She could be feather picking. Have you checked them VERY carefully for mites? The little varmints are VERY hard to see (for me, anyway) without my glasses.

5. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    There could be feather picking but my chicks as they do their first molt get a bit bare on the belly - yours looks like it is at that stage. Make sure all of your chicks have lots of space, good food, clean water and some treats and should be OK. Good Luck!

6. Bacongirl27

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    when do they start to molt?

7. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I am going to vote for the crop bound post and also the feather picking because she is uncomfortable. (I am not ruling out mites) It looks puffy, and while I am not an expert it reminds me a lot of my leghorn who had the same issue at this age. (no plucking, but the spot was the same.) I only had to go as far as the massaging a few times over a course of several hours and feeding (very) watery instant oatmeal (which everyone appreciated) and that sorted her out, thankfully. There are other steps to take, these are just the ones I chose -- please search for more (detailed) information than mine if this is the case. Good luck!

8. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Ooo... she looks crop bound to me too!

9. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    As to the feather loss, just looks like really stretched skin pulled over a really enlarged crop to me resulting in the appearance of a bald spot (not an actual bald spot). Most of my birds get this when they've engorged themselves on some tasty treat. It goes away after they're crops shrink a bit.

edited for clarification

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    this is a totally wild guess....but seeing all of the food in the pic....got me to thinking(although it all looks healthy and nutritious)...I'd stop feeding extra "treats" and just stick with chick starter until her little system gets straightened back around. I keep my babies on chick starter until at least 10 weeks of age and then they start getting "treats"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by