1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with my chicken [Image in post]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fb32108, Apr 8, 2017.

1. fb32108

fb32108 Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    I recently noticed that one of my chickens has been laying very soft eggs.
    Today noticed one of my chickens trying to to lay and egg all day in the yard. I isolated her int the coop to keep an eye on her. Later at night i noticed that she laid a broken egg. I looked at her vent an noticed it was swollen above the vent, not below. I have no idea what it is and if there is anything i can do about it. it has some scabs over it. Please help![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. fb32108

fb32108 Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    can anyone identify what is wrong with my chicken ?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have had some pecking around her vent from the other chickens that have caused the scabs. I would also look for lice or mites around her vent ad elswhere on her skin. Is she low in the pecking order or being bullied? I would apply some coconut oil or something like bag balm or plain neosporin on her scabs. Laying a broken egg can be a sign that she needs more calcium, such as access to crushed oyster shell to eat when she needs it. She also could have been egg bound or stressed. Having eggs break inside can create an environment for infection later on in the reproductive tract. Is she eating a layer type feed?

4. fb32108

fb32108 Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    I have not seen her get pecked at, she is lower in the pecking order but the other chickens generally peck at each others necks not above the vent.
    my chickens have had mites and louse in the past but that's the first thing i checked and she is clean. It looks like she might be the only one laying broken eggs, i don't know if she has one in her because i have seen her lay the eggs and they are whole. yes, they are eating a layer type feed. It almost looks like a fungus... Thanks for your reply. any other suggestions are appreciated.

5. fb32108

fb32108 Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    anybody else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by