1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lauralc18, Jun 15, 2016.

1. lauralc18

lauralc18 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Cumming, GA
    We are very new to chickens, and our first little flock is about 15/16 weeks old. We free range in our fenced in back yard during the day. Today I went out to throw them some treats and our yellow sex link would not come out of the bushes. Upon closer inspection she had made a nest in the mulch. Of course my curious 2 year ran up to pet her because she was so still. She didn't move at first (very unlike her to be docile) and when she finally got up she was waddling and kind of fell over. She was really pruning her back a lot too so I really thought a hawk had unsuccessfully tried to snatch her. This went on for about 10 minutes, the waddling, limping, falling over. Then when I checked on her again, she's running around like normal, eating, like nothing ever happened. This isn't egg laying behavior is it? And isn't she way too young anyway? I have a video of the bizarre behavior but I'm not sure if I can upload vids on here. Thanks for any insight for us newbies!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like she may have been dust bathing! What they do is find a nice spot in the dirt somewhere and dig a shallow hole and roll around in it. They sort of go into a trance and can wobble around after standing, especially if she was rushed for treats!

Here is a Barred Rock taking a dust bath...
    [​IMG]
    They can look a bit sick or funky if you have never seen them dust bathe before. LOL

BUT...just the same, keep an eye on her and if you do see her act this way and she is not in the dust bathing mode, be sure to post in our emergency section for help.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

3. lauralc18

lauralc18 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Cumming, GA
    Thank you! I knew about dust baths but didn't know about the "trance like" state. That explains everything!! Thank you!!!!

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I had a quail hen that every time after dust bathing, she stumbled around as if she was having seizures! LOL I thought at first she was, but she just got so "into" her bath that it took a while to come out of it.

Enjoy your flock! :)

5. lauralc18

lauralc18 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Cumming, GA

After my initial thought about the hawk, I thought "Do chickens feet fall asleep?!" Hahah You learn something new everyday with the's little guys!!! Thanks!

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    LOL....the learning never stops. My flock keeps me on my toes all the time and teach me things nearly every day. And each bird has it's personalities and ways too! They will train you up well over time! Ha!

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Reading your intro, I got scared too, thinking maybe she had a stroke. But, they really do get "blissed out," with their dust bathing.

1 person likes this.
  8. Casper101Popcor

Casper101Popcor Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are very interesting creatures indeed [​IMG] First time I saw my pullet dust bathing, my first thought was: Oh no, she's ruining the grass!
    Hope you have fun, and welcome to BYC! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by