What is wrong with my chicken?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by darkangels5, Oct 28, 2010.

1. darkangels5

darkangels5 New Egg

Aug 25, 2010
    Kettle Falls, WA
    I have a 8 or 9 month old Ameraucana that I am concerned about. I have never raised chickens so everything is new to me. About a week and a half ago I noticed that she was starting to go bald on her stomach so I just kept an eye on her and figured she was just going into her molt. But for the last 3 or 4 days I have not seen her leave her nesting box, she has absoultly no feathers on her stomach, I dont think she is eating or drinking, everytime I go to check on her and try and get her to move its like she is doing everything in her power to not stand up. I did find 3 eggs under her 2 days ago but nothing yesterday or today so far. What I wondering is if she is just molting or if there is something else wrong with her?

2. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    She might be going broody. A lot of times hens will pull their feathers out to place in their nest and since she has some eggs in there she may be trying to hatch them.

This is just a guess on my part because I'm a newbie too.[​IMG] At least this will give your post a bump so the experts can weigh in.

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    She wants chicks!

Either give her some fertile eggs to hatch or best to discorage her being broody as she will cut out laying though will be more than happy to collect eggs other chickens lay if she can. Also she won't be getting much for feed or exercise while broody so it is a stress on the system.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
  5. darkangels5

darkangels5 New Egg

Aug 25, 2010
    Kettle Falls, WA
    I just checked on her again and there were no eggs under her. I got her down out of the nest and she was not happy about it but she went outside and tried to eat but the other hens started fighting with her.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Get a second bowl for food and put it somewhere she can eat away from them. Birds sometimes lose some of their status when they get broody- and I think sometimes broodiness is a coping mechanism for birds at the bottom of the pecking order to find something to do. Sounds silly, I know.

At any rate, if you won't be letting her hatch any eggs, you will need to get her up at least a couple of times daily, and she'll need to be able to eat without everyone stopping her.

7. darkangels5

darkangels5 New Egg

Aug 25, 2010
    Kettle Falls, WA
    Ok, I will deffinatly try that!!! I dont have a rooster so they are used to not keeping their eggs. Hopefully this works and I can get her to quit doing this before she makes herself sick or the other 29 really hurt her. Thank you so much for the info and all the suggestions!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by