what is wrong with my chickens-laying there and won't get up.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystallane, Sep 10, 2010.

1. crystallane

crystallane Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    central florida
    On Monday evening I noticed one of my chickens was just sitting on the ground and wouldn't get up or eat. She did go up in the coop on her own. On Tuesday I was watching her closely. She only moved about a foot outside the coop and just sat there for a few hours. I started looking around online and the only thing I could guess was wrong was she was egg bound. So I brought her in the house and was checking her out. I have never had an egg bound chicken before. I was feeling around her vent but didn't feel an egg. A few minutes later she died. Now today I have another chicken doing the same thing. She is just sitting there, she is eating a little if I throw it right next to her. I don't see any symptoms other than them just sitting and not wanting to get up. Any ideas?

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    From your description, it sounds like a parasite problem. Check around on this board for buckets of information on what to do.

3. crystallane

crystallane Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    central florida
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by