What is wrong with my chicken's leg and what can I do to help?

oliviaandjosh4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
About two weeks ago I noticed my 9 month old orpington hen limping when she walked. I didn't think too much about it because she could still get around pretty well. The next week she stopped coming out of the coop and wouldn't even come down from the roost. I picked her up and looked at her legs and one looked like it was hyperextended and kinda just dangling. I gave her a warm bath because she had gotten pooped on from not coming down off the roost and i put her in a cage by herself with food and water. She didn't seem to really eat much while in the cage. I took her out after about 5 days to see if she could get around and she still is not able to walk. So I am wanting to know what could be wrong with her leg, what can I give her to help it heal, and how long should it take to heal? I do not want her to die but she isn't even trying to eat or drink.

At 9 months old, I would try vitamins, especially B vitamins. I would hope for an injury. But paralysis and not eating may sound like Marek's Virus.
hugs.gif

My Tractor Supply was out of the vitamins. My hen is not improving at all..she doesn't get up and walk just scoots herself with her wings. Her comb is awfully pale, she hasn't been eating much at all, just sleeps. I'm expecting to find her dead in her pen any day now, that's how bad she looks..I don't know what else to do. Also, she hasn't laid an egg this whole time which is weird.. do chickens stop laying eggs when they're sick?

My Tractor Supply was out of the vitamins. My hen is not improving at all..she doesn't get up and walk just scoots herself with her wings. Her comb is awfully pale, she hasn't been eating much at all, just sleeps. I'm expecting to find her dead in her pen any day now, that's how bad she looks..I don't know what else to do. Also, she hasn't laid an egg this whole time which is weird.. do chickens stop laying eggs when they're sick?

Hens will stop laying eggs if they are sick. You can use Poutry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell liquid vitamins 1 to 3 ml given orally every day according to package directions. Also, you can give PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins 2-3 drops orally daily.

Back
Top Bottom