what is wrong with my chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by obbsessedwithchickens, Jul 8, 2010.

1. obbsessedwithchickens

obbsessedwithchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    Whitmore
    Hello,

I recently moved and the people we're staying with won't let us have chickens so they're at my friends house for a while.
    Anyways her chickens and mine aren't laying eggs and mine are two and three years old and her are turning one.
    We originally thought they had worms so we de-wormed them with wazine 17 poultry wormer. It's been several weeks and they are still not laying. I know my girls that are three should be slowing down but what about the other chickens.
    Oh if this helps every time I visit my girls their water is always empty.
    And their stool is runny and the crowns and waddles are pale.

Thank you,

obbsessedwithchickens

2. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I don't know where you are, but this is universal:
    THEY NEED CLEAN WATER AT ALL TIMES

3. obbsessedwithchickens

obbsessedwithchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    Whitmore
    okay thank you

4. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    By stressing them out and dehydrating them, they are much more susceptible to any other disease, infection, conditions.
    Good luck and it could certainly be something else - they just don't have a chance if they're not able to drink water

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The stress of moving them and the social upheaval from combining two flocks would result in a stop in egg laying. There is no way they are going to resume laying unless they are fed properly and have a constant source of clean water. If you are on the East coast in this heat wave, it's a miracle they all haven't died from dehydration. Unless they can be cared for properly, it would be better to find them a new home.

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    1st.) Add extra waterers - - - they need water aLWAYS.
    If it is HOT outside, you may need to change it frequently or add ice cubes to keep it cool for them.

2nd.) Make sure you are feeding laying crumbles. Don't supplement with things like scratch.

3rd.) Watch them - - - are they acting like they are stressed ? Are they getting along with each other?
    When you merge flocks, you may need to add extra feeders, if some are being bullies.

4th.) Look at them - - - Inspect their rear-ends and legs. You are looking for bugs - - mites or lice.

5th.) The HOT weather can stop some breeds from laying. If they are panting constantly you might need to
    try to cool them off a little before you see egg production return.
    Add shade to the coop, Add a fan. Add a shallow pan of water, etc.

There are some other possibilities - - but # 1-5 are the best places to start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by