1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with my duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ibarrett, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ibarrett

ibarrett Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    In June of 2016, I bought 13 Indian Runner Ducks. They were all fine, no problems, but then all of a sudden the only male I purchased got a limp. A few days after, he couldn't walk. He was having a hard time getting to the food & water so I made a little tuppleware container filled with pine shavings & his own food and water bowl to see if he could heal. He didn't- it got worse and worse and finally we made a decision to cull the duck. It was really really sad but we couldn't see him suffering anymore.

[​IMG]

Anyways, the rest of my ducks lived on. That is, until one of my ladies got a limp. (Keep in mind, these ducks are free ranged over about 7 acres...lots of running). She healed eventually, but now another one of my ladies got a limp. And after a few days, now she can't walk. So I created a smaller pen so the other ducks wouldn't run around so much and leave her lonely (she cries when she's separated from the group)

[​IMG]

Yesterday it was snowy so I let them out for a bit to stretch their legs & was able to get some pics.

To get around she does this sort of pathetic beating of her wings on the ground and then she pulls herself forward. And doing this damaged her wings:

[​IMG]

So I took a look at her feet & didn't notice anything wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've tried water therapy, but it didn't work. I really want my ducky to be better...please help!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Looks like bumblefoot to me. @Amiga? @Miss Lydia?

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi, I would keep her where she can be safe and relatively warm and quiet, perhaps with another duck .

I am on a phone so I cannot see the foot well. I would get her to a vet if possible.

Bumblefoot can take weeks to heal. But it can heal with proper treatment. Miss Lydia describes the treatment very well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I really can't see any bumble foot other than at bottom of her foot where the back toe is looks like there maybe some swelling on both feet, could there be? @ibarrett have you looked over her legs for swelling and heat more so than normal? I don't know how large an area she is in but I'd place her where she can't do so much harm to her wings and keep her from trying to keep up with everyone. Rest right now is very important. Put some kind of antibiotic ointment on her wings too. If she does have bumble it must be a mild case so far but having 7acres to range over they probably come in contact with briars and thorns? have you looked over her feet for anything stuck in there? You can try some Epsom salt soaks or compresses If you go with soaks place both her legs down into a bucket much easier and hold her there for as long as she'll let you. But don't let her drink the solution it's also a laxative. Use half cup of ES to 1gal of warm water. ES helps with inflammation and swelling. There could be some kind of infection going on but from where I sit her legs and feet didn't look bad at all. I can't see all of her legs but Bumble foot can go septic is not treated and can cause death. What ever is going on she sure needs some help. Is it possible to get a vet to look at her? How long did you do the water therapy? leg injuries etc can take quite a while to heal.

1 person likes this.
  5. ibarrett

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Hi,
    thanks for helping me out. I am 16 y/o and therefore I don't make these decisions. I've tried convincing my mom and she is okay with it but it's really my dad's decision. As you said, I thought her feet looked fine (as in, not bumblefoot) as well. I put her in a large container with her own food and water yesterday & she got rest. She was having a hard time making noise yesterday (is was a very wheezy quack) but today she is quacking loud as ever. I put some neosporin on her wings and I'll try soaking her tomorrow.

I did water therapy for about 45 mins in my bathtub- but my mom wasnt a fan. I can't do it again, so I'm limited to a kiddie pool we have outside. She is fine as far as swimming goes.

My dad is coming home from a work trip tonight and I'll convince him to take her to the vet. Our animals are so important to me and my heart aches when they're suffering. It's hard seeing something so innocent go through something so awful.

I'll keep you updated
    Thanks to all of you @Miss Lydia @Amiga @Krazyquilts

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. ibarrett

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I tried to take as many pictures as I could. She's calmed down a lot around me, which is good. It's not pictured but I've noticed when I put her down sometimes she throws her head forward and just leaves her beak in the pine shavings. Is this normal, some kind of duck reflex or something? I can try and get a picture or video if I'm not making sense

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @ibarrett great pics. look at her legs stretched out in front of you, you can do this by holding her on your lap then lay her on her back for just a minute and stretch both legs out together. look for anything different between the 2 of them, In pic 1 it looks like her left leg at the bend is not normal but it could be the way of the pic too. [Just trying to pick out anything that may give us a clue to what is going on]

She sounds weak might be why she is putting her head out in front.,so best to keep her contained till you can find out what's going on.Supportive care is very important right now especially in the cold weather. How is she doing with eating drinking and pooping all normal? does she lay eggs?Her feathers around her vent look wet is something going on there 2? If you can't do warm water therapy then I'd keep her out of the pool for now if she is weak or sick then you don't want her to take a chill.

I understand about parents and having to go by their rules, but maybe dad will let you take her to the vet so you can find out what is going on especially since you have already lost 1 Runner I know you don't want to lose anymore. Your doing all you can right now. [​IMG]

One other thing feel her breast bone is it sticking out and does she feel to skinny? these are some signs that something is not right. Which would go along with eating drinking pooping and laying eggs. I know Runners are slim I have some but her breast bone should be protruding. Hard to tell by pics that would be hands on.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. ibarrett

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Hi, thanks for helping me out so much! It's amazing having complete strangers be so kind as to help me out.

I took more pictures this morning. I laid her on her back on top of an unopened bag of tractor supply pine shavings & looked at her legs.

It seems the leg on the left has something wrong with it. It's skinner, bends to the side & on a diagonal, and her foot always looks limp. Also pictured is her breastbone. This is my first time owning Indian Runners, and I'm not sure that I have much to compare her breastbone with. Does she look too skinny? She doesn't feel skinny.
    [​IMG]

I also got a picture of her strange behavior (when she sticks her head out and leaves her beak in the shavings.)

[​IMG]

I took a look at her vent. It has some poo on it so I washed it off and dried her up. Could this just be because she is pooing sitting down? She is eating and drinking normally, and she is not laying eggs.

As far as the vet thing goes, I've gotten a maybe. If she requires some sort of medicine or surgery, I'll have to use my own money, but my parents might be okay with taking her to the vet. I really really hope they let me take her.

Thank you for all your support, and God bless you for helping me out in my duckie's time of need [​IMG]

Isabelle

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. ibarrett

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    UPDATE*** My dad says he'll take her to the vet, but I'll have to figure out how to pay for the treatment. We're going to make an appt today, and I'll figure everything out as far as treatment goes. Thanks to everyone on here and I'll tell you what the verdict is as soon as I know.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi Isabelle, Good pics for sure. I don't think her breast bone should be sticking out like that but you do a comparison to her with one of your other Runners.. That may be more accurate. I wonder is she injured her leg somehow and that is her main problem. I am not a vet though so it's all pure speculation on my part. A good vet can check her out top to bottom .

As for her messy bottom most likely from laying down in her poo looks okay now.

I'd say the head down is a good indicator she is not feeling well at all and maybe in pain. If it's her leg that will explain her using her wings to help her walk.

We are here to help as much as we can just wish I could help you and your lil one more. You might want to check into some good poultry vitamins too. You mentioned TSC I know they carry Poultry Nutri Drench and probably others as well getting her some added support right now would be a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by