what is wrong with my duck? =(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mestaske, May 3, 2011.

1. mestaske

mestaske Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern Colorado
    I got my ducks a month ago as babies. There is one duck that has always seemed a little weaker than the others and her butt fuzz it pecked off, also she is smaller. Today when I put them out for a bath one of my ducks had its neck stuck and couldn't get up. She cant use her feet and looked like she is having a seizure, her neck wont move and she cant get up. She is making noise but I think she is going to die.. I have her in front of a space heater.. Anything else I can try?

Thank you!!!

2. pogo0685

pogo0685 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Im sorry about your duck, I dont know anything about them because I am a new to ducks but hopefully it will be ok!

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Feed them game bird starter with niacin, otherwise they will never develop properly and die.

4. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    I you can't find niacin, look for brewer's yeast..... not sure if it will help with your particular situation but I had a duckling with leg weakness and it helped to add electrolytes packages to the water they contained niacin. I found them at TSC!

5. mestaske

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern Colorado
    Thanks, i put her in front of the space heater for about an hour and she snapped out of it? I for sure thought she wasn't going to make it. I feed them gamebird starter, the small expensive bag. Does it have to be brewers yeast or can it be the kind at stores for bread? How much do I add? And what electrolyte stuff? I will ask about it at my Big R. Thanks for the input.

6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    If she snapped out of it under a light, then she was cold. If you are already feeding game bird starter, don't add any nore niacin or brewers yeast. If you buy the 50 pound bag, it is cheaper than buying several small ones.

7. mestaske

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern Colorado
    I wish my store had the bigger bags. They only just started carrying all-flock and it says I am not supposed to be using it at their age yet. Therefore I am stuck buying the expensive little bags every few days. Should I not have their heat lamp on them so that they start to grow feathers? It is just supprising that they get so cold in 60 degree weather at 1 month old.

8. Xaviorffviii

Xaviorffviii Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    Trumbull
    60 degrees and wet at 1 month is too soon. They don't have their adult feathers yet that carry the oils that will keep them dry, it takes like 3 months. The feathers will come in when they come in regardless if you take the lamp away or not, the only thing you'd be doing is taking away their heat, which isn't really good. He may have had a seizure, I wouldn't know. I do know ducks can live a long life with untreated seizures though(unless they seizure in water and drown). Keep an eye on him, a chill can kill a duckling(but so can heating him up too much, which is why it's best to put a heat lamp in the corner so they can go back and forth as needed), he probably just chilled quicker than the others since he is a little weaker, so I'd let him play in warm water for a short period of time inside instead of outside with the breezes. Also when they do get their feathers, they still may not have the oil. You'll know when they have the oil on them when the water runs off the feathers as if the feathers were plastic or polyurethaned wood. That's when they can be in the water without risk of getting chilled.

Last edited: May 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by