What is wrong with my duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jt dancer, Dec 1, 2016.

1. jt dancer

jt dancer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    She seems a bit clumsy and is shaking her head and standing still while the others are active, also her eyes seem dull. Also, she doesn't seem to want to lie down now that the rest of the ducklings are. I am attaching a short video of her head shaking. How should I treat this? Should I separate her from the other ducklings?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She seems uncomfortable. My first thoughts are, something stuck in her mouth, sore throat, it could be that she has a nutritional problem (some ducklings just need more than others).

How is her poop?

Could you remind us what they eat, if they have food with water 24/7? Brooder temperature? Age? How many ducklings? Do they get out of the brooder some? Do they get a chance to play in brooder-temperature water sometimes?

Who or what is in the brooder room? Might she be nervous about something?

And in the back of my mind, sometimes they can get infections . . .

3. jt dancer

Oct 8, 2013
    The six ducklings were born October 30, 2016, so they are one month old. They are currently in my garage at night and out in an enclosure during the day. I am in Louisiana, so our temperatures are still on the warm side. They no longer have supplemental heat. They have non-medicated chick starter supplemented with brewer's yeast 24/7 and water available at all times. I have not seen Maude poop this evening in the time that I have been observing her. I do think she is sick and not startled, as she just doesn't look like she feels well.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    wow, having issues... maybe worms, could be another idea...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  5. jt dancer

Oct 8, 2013
    What is the treatment for worms in ducklings?

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Deworming is done by weight, but if she hasn't pooped then I'd be more worried it's something else...

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She could be impacted, having eaten something that's stopped her up. Could be an infection. A good duck vet is best, otherwise you can make some guesses and try things. Will she eat treats? Is her bill really noticeably warm? Can you see through her nares? Could be a respiratory infection...

How does her vent look? Any swelling?

8. jt dancer

Oct 8, 2013
    I decided to put her in the bathtub in warm water. She pooped a whitish light green poop, then dark green with what may be a roundworm. Her bill is not warm and I can see through her nares. I am attaching a photo of the poop; can anyone tell me if that is a roundworm or some other worm, please?
    [​IMG]

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @casportpony - worm i.d.?

@PINOAK RIDGE

The green poop sounds like she is ill (unless she has been eating peas or greens), and you are right to be concerned.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  10. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Does that move if you poke it?

I know, gross, but if it's a worm it will move...

Looks like a chunk of intestinal lining though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by