What is wrong with my duckling?

AmericanamamaNC

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2020
5 1/2 week old Muscovy named Taffy has me super concerned. Backstory- we got 3 ducklings that were a day old. Last week, we lost one very unexpectedly, for no apparent reason. They were living inside our chicken coop but in a protected cage, safe from the chickens. A few days later I thought another had died but she was just in bad shape. Brought both in the house so I could make sure they were eating and drinking properly. I got brewers yeast and added that and ground meal worms, a little oatmeal to ensure enough protein and niacin to their feed. Taffy was the strongest and biggest of the two, Sprinkles the little frail one. Tonight when they finished eating and drinking I dried them off like usual (they always get in their water bowl and splash a bit. Taffy was sitting on my chest and literally threw himself back like a bad muscle spasm. We put him back in his box to see how he was and it happened again. Now he seems twisted and hi tail is curled upward. HELP! What can I do?

Sorry to hear your duckling is having problems.

Do you happen to have any pictures of him? What exactly is "twisted"? Do you happen to have a video of the "spasms"?

Sorry to hear your duckling is having problems.

Do you happen to have any pictures of him? What exactly is "twisted"? Do you happen to have a video of the "spasms"?
Sadly, Taffy passed away. My daughter looked online and we think it was a type of hepatitis as all the symptoms matched. Arching back, neck twisting, inability to walk or stand, legs rigid. It said it causes a very rapid onset and death usually occurs within an hour, which it did. I’m praying my little Sprinkles doesn’t develop it. We are heartbroken as it says it is very contagious.

So sorry for your loss. There are several other, more likely conditions that might have caused her to pass that way, I would not get too worked up about it being DVH. Keep us posted.

I had a little girl and still have my boy. My view did the same thing about a month to a month and a half old. I lost her my little boy is not so little he is almost nine months old very strong learning to fly as he thinks be is a chicken. So I am sending lots of good thoughts to your remaining duckling.

Back
Top Bottom