What is wrong with my eggs HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Thenewgoat, Sep 7, 2016.

What eggs do yall think is good?

Poll closed Nov 30, 1999.
  1. Eggs 1,2,3 clear eggs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Egg 4 red line

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Egg 5 & 6 dark mass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Egg 7 Veins this is a given

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    I have a small incubator it holds 7 eggs I put just that in it today is day 5 I candled and saw that 3 had nothing just a yellow glow like a fresh egg, 1 had a red line going from left to right no matter how you lay it, two have large masses nothing elsa and one has veins. What is going on how many are viable and how do I cull our bad eggs.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

3. Thenewgoat

Sep 3, 2016
    I have read the whole thing about candling and have been researching all day but Thank You

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I'll take a stab at this:

The 3 clear eggs, may be unfertile, or just late starters
    The 4 red lines are a good thing
    The dark masses are a good thing

Are your temps and humidity stable and in range?

If they were mine, I'd leave the clear ones in for a while longer, just to make sure....

1 person likes this.
  5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I candled the eggs under my broody hen 3 times starting around day 7, 9 & 12 and couldn't figure out if I was seeing good stuff or not.
    So I gave up and just odor checked them every couple of days from then on out.
    All 11 hatched and all 11 lived.

6. Thenewgoat

Sep 3, 2016
    Thank you I got the eggs from someone who said they had a good number not hatch but did not tell me that until i had the eggs so i figured why not try them she said she had to many roosters and they where fighting instead of breeding LOL. Yes the temp is running perfect and the humidity is uhhh.... will i have no way to measure it but i am adding water as the instructions say to so i think i am good there as well the one with veins has a small air pocket

7. Thenewgoat

Sep 3, 2016
    I have smelled them and the all smell like new plastic like the incubator this is my first hatch and this is the first time this incubator has been used I leveled out temp and had water already in it when i added the eggs 2 days after setting it up

8. Thenewgoat

Sep 3, 2016
    There was some problems with the eggs when I got them the lady had sat the freshest ones down outside to go grab something from the house before she left and her dog .........................................................ya I know dog chewed up 5 of the 7 so then she got some she had that was around a week old and brought them One egg is cracked with micro cracks going almost from one end to the other It is one that i said was clear but it is so hard to see in that egg that i don't know what to do about it I thought about replacing it with one of my chicken eggs (my hens started laying right after i got these LOL my luck)but wanted to give the chick inside as much of a chance as any other one. One of the clear ones is a very very porous egg to the point I can not see in it very well but what i could see what all clear. The one with the one red line in it also has a dark dark red 1/2in red spot that is long but not as skinny as the really long and thin red line

9. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    LOL, Carlf - yeah, I hear ya... last night I candled my first ever batch and I'm not sure what to make of it. All kinds of stuff going on there, so I marked the air sacs I could see and left the others unmarked!

Thenewgoat - I read somewhere that the red line is the beginning of a tube that will be the heart, so it should be alive at this point....

10. Thenewgoat

Sep 3, 2016
    Okay I candled last night and we have 4 eyes and one with just veins and 2 with nothing just to wake up this morning to -1 egg and them all cold my 3 year old climbed up on the cabnet in the night and took them all out of the incubator an busted my quail egg with is one I have not mentioned yet can I save my eggs they where cold but I put them all back in and the temp was about 30 degrees low in the incubator but got back to temp in a couple hours they where only our for maybe 2 hours can I save them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by