what is wrong with my girl?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dragon bait, Dec 3, 2013.

1. dragon bait

dragon bait Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    Carriere Ms
    Hi
    We recently picked up 3 silkie chickens from a local auction. They were in a small cage at time of auction so i did not see 1 of them has a problem. 1 of the girls has a issue with walking, she can get to the food and water so i do not want to put her down unless she is in pain. we do not plan on breeding her or showing he ror any of them for that matter. any ideas what is wrong with her and can anything be done for her?
    Thank you for looking and any help you might provide
    Ray

[​IMG]

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Have you checked her leg/foot out and also her hips? Could be that she has/had splayed leg when she hatched. If she seems fine otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. Just be prepared that she will prob be on the bottom of the pecking order.
    Shame on the person who sold them...they knew what they were doing!!

3. dragon bait

dragon bait Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    Carriere Ms
    Thank you for replying
    we have checked her feet and legs it looks like she might have a bad toe but it is hard to tell the way she walks. i will try and get a picture or 2 to see if you have any other ideas
    tomorrow should be warm around here so i will give them a good bath and a closer look.
    Once again thank you
    Ray

4. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would worry about her showing symptoms of Mareks disease. If she starts to show signsof paralysis in her legs or has drooping wings, that would be another sign. Mareks is common in silkies, but is also in other breeds. Start her on some poultryvitamins in the water in case it could be a vitamin deficiency which also affect the legs. Google Mareks disease, and do some reading.

6. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    You might also want to add a super B complex pill to a gallon of their water. They can all drink it. I have mareks in my few chickens (lost 3 already) and I put it in all the time. I hope it's not that.

My silkie who got it started off with a limp then progressively got worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by