What is wrong with my guinea

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by indigo flats, Apr 11, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    She will lay an egg in the nest then drag it out into the open yard. Why is she doing this, she does it every egg she lays.

2. ludwing

ludwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    SOUTH AFRICA
    well i am plum out of ideas.

but i assum that your guinea nest is not hidden, how old is your guinea, is it her first time of laying?

adult guineas are very private about their particular laying spot. mybe your hen is still new on this game

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Yes she is new at this and theses are her first eggs she is in a 6 by 15 foot pen along with her mate she has a private spot she made a nest in and lays the eggs in there but drags them out into the open.

4. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    OK she laid another egg but so ar it is still in the nest, I also saw my two guineas mating, now that is a good sign. I will just leave them alone and see what happens in the future.

5. ludwing

ludwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Yes when a young pullet begin to lay, some of them first become random layers,but as time goes they bond of eggs and nest become strong. Wich may lead to broodiness and parenting.

It is lovely to hear that she's still laying. What you can do is try to make her nest very private while shes out of sight. Leave her clutch alone just collect the draf eggs and place them back while shes not around. The arge will come by nature for her to go broody. You're luck enough to see guineas mate. It is typically like a rare.because they are very private

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by