What is wrong with my hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RisingMoonFarm, Nov 14, 2016.

1. RisingMoonFarm

RisingMoonFarm New Egg

May 17, 2015
    Ontario
    Hi, I would appreciate input on how I can help my sick hen.

She is a 2.5 year old Chantecler, one of a mixed flock of 7. She hasn't eaten or drunk much, if anything, over the last two days, droopy tail feathers, sitting around all day, didn't roost last night, but slept on the ground.

No fever, no sneezing, no diarrhoea, no egg stuck that I can feel. No change in feed.
    She is just growing in her feathers after molting. The hens spend their time in the barn, with access to a big run, which they currently just share with 4 geese. They used to free range, but after a fox attack 4 weeks ago I haven't let them out.
    They are on a 16% layer feed, which they have done very well on for the last year or so.

They have never been wormed, as I haven't seen a need. Could that be the issue?

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Molting is hard work; she might be feeling run down from using all her energy growing new feathers. That, and its painful growing in new ones. I would give her a cooked egg yolk and some oatmeal and yogurt, if it were my hen. That way I could see if she's just needed some extra vitamins and protein. I don't worm, but I do give them fresh pumpkin(needs to have the seeds) to worm with, though, so that might help.

Are any of your other birds showing signs of the same issue?

3. RisingMoonFarm

RisingMoonFarm New Egg

May 17, 2015
    Ontario
    Everybody else is fine. I'll try the egg yolk, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by