1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dinabean, Dec 10, 2013.

1. dinabean

dinabean Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2013
    My one hen is acting different. She was sitting for over an hour until she finally laid an egg (3 months later then the others) and she seems to separate herself from the others and she never did that before. She is also not as "peppy" as she used to be. Its been a week now. Last week it seemed as though her neck feathers were missing but they are grown in now. I'm not sure if she is sick or the others are bullying her. Everyone on here is always so helpful and I am a new chicken mommy so any advise would be helpful to me.

2. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be that she is molting - they lose feathers and stop laying for a while. They also tend to look kind of unheathy and sad... What do you mean by "she laid 3 months later than the others?" As in, she started laying later? That could be because of different breeds...

3. dinabean

dinabean Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2013
    Yes she started laying later then the others. I hope she's just molting. But that is how I would describe her..sad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by