1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with my hen's bottom?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dazandln, Mar 7, 2015.

1. dazandln

dazandln New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    [​IMG]
    My hen's bottom is really enlarged and red. The feathers have fallen off. This has been going on for about 5 months, and now she has some sores. What should I do? Thanks!

2. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    I would help if you could give us a bit more information:

How old is she?
    Is she still laying - if not, approximately when did she stop laying?
    Has she laid eggs without shells, soft shelled eggs, broken eggs etc?
    What does her poop look like? ( a picture would be good!)
    How is she acting - normal, lethargic, not moving?
    Is she eating - if yes, is she eating normally or being picky and only eating certain foods?
    Is she drinking normally, or more than usual?
    Does she stand normally, or does her back end weigh her down - does she stand more like a penguin than a chicken?
    What does her rear end feel like - firm and hard, or squishy like a water balloon, and does it feel hotter than it should?

At first sight and from your description, I would suspect internal laying as the problem, but that is merely a guess. The more information you can give us, the more likely it is that we will be able to help you with informed ideas and opinions.

3. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Odd that you are posting this, my hen looks exactly the same. Swollen bottom (soft and squishy when handled).

Hate to hijack your thread here but....it is red, signs of a yeast infection, and yes she is laying. She is obviously uncomfortable too and walks a little stiff.

4. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    When you say "signs of a yeast infection" - what signs exactly?

5. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    White gunk pouring out of her vent. I treated her with some miconazole but maybe didn't use enough as it did not go away. Gave her a bath today (which is when I noticed how swollen up her rear is) and gave her a larger dose of that in her vent and then some doxycycline orally.

She is way too swollen up for it to just be a yeast infection (at least imo, maybe yeast can cause that?). Her skin is red and the feathers are very thin, in part because of the swelling.

The swelling is bulging out her rear and lower, it feels very soft and squishy however she is a leghorn so the rest of her body is thin.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    That's not a symptom I've come across before. Usually swelling like the photo that dazandln posted is due to internal laying or ascites (fluid build up in the abdomen). Internal laying doesn't sound like the problem with your girl, as you are still getting eggs from her, but it could be ascites.

I'm afraid that I'm not much help - I really don't know what to suggest. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer you some ideas for causes / treatment.

7. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    This could be vent picking a type of pecking.
    Other chickens will peck at her vent( butt) until it's red and covered in sores. Vent pecking mainly happens in young birds. How old is she? A way to help her would be separate her from the others and clean the area and put A LITTLE bit of Vaseline on the red area... DO NOT rub Vaseline on her vent this could irritate it even more. Hope this helps. :)

8. dazandln

dazandln New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks everybody!
    She is one year old. She is still laying well (and hasn't died) so I think we've ruled out internal laying. Her bottom is soft and squishy and hot.
    I don't know which poop is hers because I have four chickens. She is acting fine but her walking is waddling because she's so big.
    Honestly I don't know if her eating or drinking has changed.
    I gave them all some apple cider vinegar in their water but nothing has changed.
    She seems happy but yes I think now her sisters might be pecking her :(.
    I think it might be ascites. Should I take her to a vet?
    Thanks again!
    Ellen

9. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    No problem, Yes you may want to take her to the vet. Good luck. :thumbsup

10. KayTee

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Yes, if you can manage to do it then taking her to a vet would be an excellent move. I have read reports of people who have 'drained' chickens with ascites regularly, and have managed to maintain their quality of life for quite a long time. Your vet will be able to show you how to do that safely, or to advise you if it is not possible for any reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by