What is wrong with my hens feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by butterflygrooves, Jul 13, 2010.

1. butterflygrooves

butterflygrooves Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have a 4 month old Jersey Giant who seems to have lost weight and her feathers near her rear are curling. She eats regular chicken feed made by Brookhurst, always has access to clean water, and sometimes eats lettuce from my garden when out of the coop. I noticed her feathers curling about a month ago and the smaller body yesterday when I picked her up to look at her feathers. The feed store owner that I bought her from said she would be a lot larger than the rest of my hens; 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Brown Leghorn; but so far she is about the same size (same age as the Orps and RIR). Her body actually feels smaller (under the feathers) than the Orps, the feathers make her look about the same size otherwise. I've been finding quite a few large black feathers in the coop each day also, that doesn't happen with my other girls. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? Here are some pics of her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. amberroswell

amberroswell Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    north muskegon
    it looks like a rooster has had his way with your hen, when they mate they rip out the feathers there where yours hen is missing hers at, and they do look funny while they are growing back, but I am unsure of why she is loosing weight because she should be bigger than your other hens I heard the jersey giant is the largest breed.

3. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    a 4 month old Jersey is still growing. In fact, in their first year of life, they are mostly developing their frame, they really fill out volume wise their second year and get pretty chunky [​IMG] I have a couple of hens that have those fluff type feathers above their tail, and we don't have a rooster in with them yet

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

And she could be starting to moult earlier than the rest of the flock, though I've not had any of my young birds moult the first year. If its not the roo's favorite gal, the others could be picking her or...did you check her skin for lice/mites?

5. butterflygrooves

butterflygrooves Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    No roos in the coop, all hens (that we can tell so far, no crowing). Do you see any roos in the pics? The BO next to her in the 3rd pic is definitely a hen, she started laying last week. I tried to check for lice/mites when I looked at her today but she kept flying/running from me. Will check again tomorrow.

I just realized that last month I let my Dad take my little brother into the coop to pet her and instead of petting from head to tail gently he used his fingertips and pet back and forth (side to side) around this area. Could that be a possible cause?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by