What Is Wrong With My Hen's Feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by corliss, Dec 15, 2010.

1. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    I've got an 8 month old SLW who started a mini-moult last week, mostly on her neck. It has changed her behavior significantly and now she is the peck-ee, not the peck-er, as before. But what worries me is that her feet (especially between the claws) and legs are suddenly displaying this pinkish/reddish color. I hope the pictures show this clearly. Please let me know if you recognize the problem and what I might do about it. I greased her up with shea butter tonight but I doubt that's going to do much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Looks like hormonal changes. Is she laying?

As a side note, most often that color change can be seen more on a rooster. Are you sure she is not a he?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. corliss

corliss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Absolutely positive she is a she as she's been laying since early August. Do their feet change color temporarily when they moult?

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG] because I've been noticing the same thing. I keep thinking, oh horrors, leg mites, but there is no sign, and I've never seen any kind of mite on them anywhere.

It's only on a few of mine, more the roos than the hens and more on the light leg colors. Would love to be assured it's hormonal.

I do have some molting; I'll have to look to see whether there is a correlation.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Mine are molting and laying and their feet turned pink like that, IDK why but since they are acting normal otherwise I wasn't concerned, but I would be interested to know why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by