what is wrong with my hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TracieJ, Nov 3, 2014.

1. TracieJ

TracieJ New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    I got these 2 eggs this morning and 1 just like it Friday. The shell is soft and almost transparent when a light is shined on them. I feed them layer feed, toss around scratch, meal worms and oyster shell. They are free during the day and couped and night. And they get fresh fruit and veggies and dinner left overs when it is feasible for chicken food. When I got the first one Friday I assumed it was just a bad egg from a older hen but the one this morning us small and pretty sure it is from one of my new layers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    Have they just started laying? If so, then it's nothing to worry about, the first few eggs are usually abnormal

3. TracieJ

TracieJ New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    One of them today and the one the other day are larger eggs so I assumed it was from one of my 2nd year hens but one of them today was a small one so I am sure it is from my 1st year hens. Maybe they are both from new layers even though the size on 1 is so much larger? I have 8 hens and Friday had 7 egg (including the soft one) but on a regular basis been getting 4 to 7 a day. I just hope it isn't something they ate or got into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by