What is wrong with my indian runner duck x's wings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lauradingley, Dec 29, 2012.

1. lauradingley

lauradingley New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    We've got 4 ducks and only one has got something wrong with her feathers. she is kept in good conditions, although is exposed to mud a lot as British weather can take its toll on the grass. She's fed hens layers pellets along with the other 3 ducks so i don't think that's the problem. i just have no idea what it is and no idea how to help her! her wing basically look dry and brittle, and they look like the don't sit comfortably as she if forever adjusting herself.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would take a close look for mites, and then check her preen gland.

Does she have a tub or pool she can swim in? I would bring her in, get her into a lukewarm tub of water, and take a very close look.

Here is a thread discussing wet feather.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/294673/wet-feather-how-can-i-fix-it

Perhaps something in there can help.

3. lauradingley

lauradingley New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Thankyou, she does have have a pool which she shares with the other 3, but none of them have this problem. Although she doesn't like water as much as the othe ducks, we usually have to pick her up and place her in the pool without putting her under any stress.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yeah, I think I close look is in order. I have heard some people massage the preen gland with oil to help it get started.

If it is infected, you need to put an antibiotic ointment (no pain reliever it's toxic to ducks) on it.

5. lauradingley

lauradingley New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    That's definitely what i'll do then. Shes had this wing problem since she was a duckling. they hatched about late September so they're not very old, i was just very worried about losing her, but getting her indoors and checking her is a definite!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You know, some ducklings are very sensitive to nutrient levels. I wonder if being on the layer pellets she is missing something. Do you have poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics? Might be worth the investment to start giving her some of that once a week. Also, some brewer's yeast for extra niacin, a tablespoon a day sprinkled on feed might give her a boost, also.

7. We have a duck that was like this. It was from mating too. But soon after she molted she was beautiful!

8. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    I'm so glad to see this post. One of my rescued ducks, Pebbles, looks just like this. They were hatched last spring. Because they were so poorly fed and housed before I bought them, I have been feeding them the best I can get (Scratch and Peck). I added niacin when they first arrived here have added Vitamins and Electrolites Plus, add a little BOSS and nutritional yeast to their feed. They free range during the day. I've added DE to the straw and wood chips in their house. They both started to lay, but now, with our cold, short days, it is down to one egg almost every day from the two of them. She preens and likes the water. However, the other duck, Beatrice, goes through the mating game frequently with her. I have wondered if this isn't damaging the feathers. Beatrice has beautiful feathers[​IMG] but she never has anyone clawing on her back.

9. beckybose

beckybose New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi did your runner's wings improve? We have a similar problem with our beautiful new apricot runner. Will be investigating oil gland when she's a bit calmer (just brought her inside). But hoping that exposure to clean water, good diet and warmer weather will all help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by