What is wrong with my muscovy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I keep looking outside at my new muscovy ducklings (about 4 weeks old) and then I go to open the door because they appear to be standing oddly. Then I remember and have to tell myself, they are not Runners. They do not stand upright. They are fine. [​IMG]

But seriously, after a bit of cleaning up, 1 or 2 of them have areas of skin that appear to be a bit pinkish. (In the pic the one in the back to the left area just behind the wings.) Another on the leg just where the feathers start.
    [​IMG]

Could this be due to the weather down here? Its been practically raining daily for a few weeks. They were in dirt floor pens which with the rain were a bit muddy. I was not concerned about their care because the adults, which were housed seperately, were GORGEOUS. They were a bit crowded but not to an extreme degree.
    Ideas?

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Could it just be their feathers growing in?

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm not sure but I don't think so. Never saw this in the runners. The area still has fluff but I noticed when I tried to clean them up a bit that some of them were pinkish. It is borderline reddish and looks irratated. I'm not too concerned just wanting some opinions as to cause.

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

My scovie has some spots like that right now. she is my only one and then again i think she is a dwarf as well. She is 5 weeks and looks only 2 or 3. Yours are double her size. I would think it is just feathers.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    good to know. Again, I'm not too concerned but since I've never had muscovy......

6. JeffJustJeff

JeffJustJeff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Mine did exactly the same thing on their back. I was convinced they had some terrible skin disease and then their feathers came in.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My muscovys always have pink spots. Once they feather up, they will be ok.

8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was worried that something was wrong. Ugh, why do we do this to ourselves? Over and over again? [​IMG]
    Worth it though. I am soooooo looking forward to my Muscovy adventure.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    We do it to ourselves because we love our animals and care so much about them. We want to make sure that they are healthy and happy. [​IMG]

It's called being responsible. Way to go!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by