What is wrong with my Muscovy's wings!

chickenpiedpiper

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
New Durham NH
Ok, I am new to Ducks. Have raised chickens and turkeys for years. The very first duckling I get and raise seems to have some sort of weakness in her wings. Has anyone ever seen this?

The wings are not broken or damaged, when she flaps them, they are shaped just like the other ducks. and we have had her since she was a fluffy little thing, and her wings have never been injured.

The problem started when she started to grow the long primary feathers, as they grew they seemed to get too heavy and just flopped out from the side of the body like she couldnt hold them close to her sides! It looks uncomfortable, and really odd, but she doesnt seem to mind them.

Will she be like this forever, or will she ever have the strength/musculature to fold her wings properly?

Any ideas?

14075_100_4462.jpg

14075_100_4464.jpg

14075_100_4465.jpg

I would love some input on this if anyone has ever seen it......

Thanks

It's angel wing
sad.png
How old is he though? I have never had to deal with it myself but I know it can be fixed if it's caught early enough. you have to bandage the wings into place so they heal/grow correctly. Change your title and i am sure someone can help.

Last edited:
That looks like angel wing, it's caused by their diet. I'm not an expert, but there's others here in this forum that can tell you about it in detail.

Angel wing.I had a couple geese with it.It's high protien feed apparently.Or medicated feed's can cause in waterfowl also.If she is young you might have a little sucess taping the wing's but...

Thank you all very much! She was raised with chickens, and the first few weeks she was on medicated, before I found out that that was a really bad thing! Now she is on Flock raiser from purina, since I have all ages as well as turkeys and pheasants! I will change the title to see if I can get more info!

Thanks again!

It's angel wing, but the duck is all feathered out. This means it is to late to fix it. Only surgery can help now. The best time to fix it is before they are 8 weeks old. Ducks with angel wing can still live a normal life and it does not hurt them either. You just have to be careful about injuries. They can hurt themselves when they run into something while in panic.

Can I cut back the feathers, once they dont have blood in them? Or should I just learn to love her the way she is? It doesnt seem to bother her at all.

What is the correct feed for ducks? We have been using flock raiser, since we hatch our eggs, have turkeys and pheasants, and now ducks. everyone ranges and eats together, (except pheasants) This seemed like the best choice......

Back
Top Bottom