1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with my new lil chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feliciamckee, Jul 7, 2011.

1. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Got a few new chicks this week. My husband got chick happy and bought some at spur of moment because they were cute! I didn't even have a chance to look at them good until we got home. I am not sure of their age...my guess would be about 6-8 weeks??? These are my first chicks! Here are my concerns...

1. A couple of them are sneezing.
    2. My daughter said one of the lil roos "puked" a little on her this morning.
    3. My main concern is for one lil chick that has absolutely NO feathers on her underside...not even any downy feathers. She also has a runny eye that stays half closed a lot of the time.

They seem very healthy otherwise and they get plenty of clean grass and fresh air. I am feeding them medicated chick starter and have been putting Duramicin 10 in their water. For the lil one's eye, I have been putting antibiotic ointment in both of her eyes with a q tip.

Is what I am doing the right thing? Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    what kind of bedding are you using. Cedar is very bad for them. Chicks sneeze sometimes, sometimes they have to get used to being in a new place. Not sure what to do about the eye, but you should post under ailments for that one.

Good Luck

3. feliciamckee

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    No cedar. My husband built them a quarantine coop with no bottom that we move around the yard so they always have fresh clean grass. Thanks.

4. Redneckmom

Redneckmom New Egg

Jul 3, 2011
    When I got some day old chicks that were not doing so good I put Aloe in the water. This worked for me and gave them all a little help. Good luck![​IMG]

5. feliciamckee

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Aloe is good for everything. I will try it, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by