What is wrong with my poor duckling??? Advice needed!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Iain Utah, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Twist is a cayuga duckling who hatched perfectly healthy and strong. On day 8, she presented with a weird head tilt, which I thought was either wry neck or an injury. I made a video of her, which is in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/628277/duckling-with-tilted-head

After 2 days of 4 polyvisol drops per day, she seemed better and I could not tell her apart from the rest for almost a day. Then, she started to show a new problem with drinking... which seems more like star gazing, except her head is straight and forward except when drinking.

Here is a video I took 5 minutes ago of her. Please excuse the messy pen, as I have not cleaned it yet this morning. She is the one eating when video starts. As you will see, she is the loudest and most demanding for her treats. But, after almost 6 days of polyvisol, there has been no improvement. She is 14 days old today.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as I am quite fond of Twist and want her to make it!!

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Ok, right at the end of the video is where the great shot of it is. That is really weird. She seems great regardless. So that's good. Poor twist.

3. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
  4. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
  5. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Great threads, QJ. Sounds like polyvisol is the standard treatment, but perhaps Twist's dosage needs to be adjusted.

6. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I think the fact that she's made it 14 days is great. Sounds like eating and drinking is the main problem they have. And she's doing that fine.

7. craz e laid e

craz e laid e Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    It's interesting that none of the others have the problem. What part of the country did the eggs come from? Maybe you could research to see if there is a natural shortage of a particular vitamin/mineral in that area. I know where I live there is a shortage of selenium. Just a thought. Good Luck.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am not trying to promote Nutir drench because i have stock in it but it is made for poultry /ducks/ geese. so it maybe if you made the change ? It maybe worth a try. They are so adorable and i know it's hard to see it like this. Otherwise it looks like it is up there with the rest as far a size? looks to be eating good too.

I don't have stock in it!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    What are you feeding your ducklings? Ducklings in general, and some in particular, are sensitive to niacin deficiency. If you're feeding them a food meant for chicks, this could be the problem.

10. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Lydia, I went to 2 stores looking for nutri drench, with no luck. I will order it online tonight since you recommend it strongly. Twist is right there with the others in terms of growth, appetite, water drinking, and activity. Her poop looks good too.

Christine, they are all getting Purina start n grow crumble. They got daily romaine leaf for treats, but I switched over to kale a few days ago, as I heard that was better for them. I also heard about yeast but mistakenly purchased active dry yeast which I gave them for about 12 hours. I plan to get brewers yeast in the morning. I am almost out of feed, so am happy to make a switch to whatever you think is better... but the selection at my local stores is very limited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by