What is wrong with my pretty boy?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reurra, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    My Lanshan cockerel is limping!

I cant find any injury anywhere on his legs, ir under his feet. No swelling, no heat, no dislocations!

I hope he will recover because he is such a pretty boy!

Any ideas on what I should look for/do?

2. How badly limping? If it is mild, give it a day or so. He may have just banged his leg.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    How old is he? Was he vaccinated for Marek's disease? If he's under a year, and unvaccinated, I would suspect Marek's Disease. Otherwise, he probably just bruised or sprained one of his legs (by jumping down too hard, fighting, etc.), and will probably be fine in a few days. If you want, you could isolate him in a small, well-bedded place without a roost. That would hopefully cut down on his movement, and speed up the healing.

4. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    His limp has gotten worse over the last few days.

Its not weakness, he is able to stand on it, but when walking, as the weight rolls over on it, he sort of hops. It seems most his weight is on his toes. There is no bumble foot at all.

He is only about 8 weeks or so. Still pretty young.

I strongly doubt Mareks for so many reasons...

I thought perhaps some sort of sprain from jumping down or something. Being Langshan, I wondered if his leg feathers might be bothering him...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  5. My guess would be some kind of strain or sprain.

6. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Im thinking that too, is there any way to help him get over it? I intend to make him my breeder. Im worried he wont be able to perform if he stays in this condition! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: