What is wrong with my pullet? Walking Funny and stands with feet sideways

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunny Dawn, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Sunny Dawn

Sunny Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Hi - I need some help from more experienced chicken owners. My pullet who is a speckled sussex has been walking funny for about 4 weeks now. She is otherwise very healthy. Eating and drinking normally, gaining weight, hangs with her friends...no other issues. Below are a few pictures. She has been vaccinated for Marek's.
    [​IMG]

2. chickenoverlord

chickenoverlord Chillin' With My Peeps

Catch her and check the bottoms of her feet for rotten, squishy and smelly flesh. If she does, it's called bumble foot and you will need to drain the pus and give her antibiotic injections. I 12 chickens come down with it and it took 2 months for me to realize what wuz happening. If that's not the problem, she might have a dislocated hip.

3. Sunny Dawn

Jul 2, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Trying to post additional pics. Hope to get her walk on video tomorrow. She walks like a duck per my husband....It is hard to describe. She circles her legs out to the side when she steps instead of one foot in front of the other.

4. Sunny Dawn

Jul 2, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    No bumble foot. No broken toenails....I cleaned both her feet today with warm water to get a really good look at them and saw nothing note able .

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  5. Sunny Dawn

Jul 2, 2012
    Pennsylvania

How would I find out if it is her hip? And would I do to fix it?

6. chickenoverlord

It sounds like its her hip, especially if she's walkin like a duck. If she's still walking a lot, it might just be sprained. If its not better in a week, it's probably dislocated. DO NOT TRY TO RELOCATE IT!!!!!! It probably doesn't hurt her much now, but if you try to relocate it, the pain could caused heart attack. I Found that out the hard way... Hopefully it will correct itself, if not she can live a normal life as long as she's not being bullied.

7. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Both legs?

8. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Could be a bone malformation. I'd leave it be if she doesn't appear to be in pain. If she does become lathargic or appears to be in pain, it'd be best to take her to a vet, or cull her from your flock. And if you plan on breeding, make sure you don't pass her genes on, as this may be genetic.

9. chickenoverlord

I agree with chickengal505.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by