What is wrong with my ROO???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenacre, Nov 9, 2007.

1. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    I was just outside hangin' out with the 5 girls and my one bantam rooster. They were all nicely picking at the grass and all of a sudden, the roo started nipping at one of the girls necks (from the side). She got away. Next thing I know, he grabs onto another girl on her neck (also on the side) and just starts chomping away...she couldn't get away from his grip and started crying loudly. I happened to be sweeping the pavers so I had my broom handy. I swatted at him at he let go. WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    It could be mating behavior. How old are they?

3. greenacre

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    OH MY GOSH...he just did it again!!! He is 23 weeks old and the girls are 32 weeks. I never remember reading anywhere about that particular mating behavior...start biting on their necks and they will fall on love with you??? [​IMG]

4. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yep, it's mating behavior. He's just learning and doesn't have a teacher to show him the way. Don't worry about it. It might be disturbing to watch, but how else will he learn? After awhile his pecking order will be established and it won't be so rough.

Others have suggested that you not let him do that (mate) in your presence to show him that you are the dominant "top rooster". That way he is less likely to be aggressive with you later on.

5. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:lol, for some people it works! [​IMG] But, you have to keep in mind that they're animals not humans. Dogs and cats are particularly "romantic" about it either. Some roosters are also more upfront about it than others who tend to be more into the courting (wing dancing, picking up treats, showing food, etc...). Just depends on the man, err.. rooster. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. greenacre

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    Thanks [​IMG]

So can you consider biting on hens necks from the sides the first sign of trying to mate? What should I look for next? Is there any behavior he might do that I should stop? He has NEVER tried to come near me...he is really timid and is NOT at the top of the pecking order. He is sooo funny to watch [​IMG]

7. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Well, it's not pretty and the hens (unless they're just really laid back and squat automatically) will squeal and squak a lot when he starts learning how to mount them. You can stop him from doing it while you're present, just kinda nudge him off with your foot or chase him away if you can't get there in time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by